VPP again

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by josch, May 9, 2008.

1. josch

josch Junior Member

Hello,
    A couple of years ago I ve written a neat little EXCEL VPP during my final year at university.
    Now as time progresses, I find that many things could be done better.

So I wanna rewrite it and am thus looking for some better data inputs, such as Sail lift and drag curves.

Does anyone have ideas or information on sources of where to get those.

i.e.
    • Assymetric spinnakers / spinnakers
    • headsails
    • mainsails
    Perhaps something that is validated or even kind of up to date like laminated high aspect ration sails etc.

I am also looking for better algorithm's for resistance, I know that the latest Delft series are not too bad.... but how do they deal with modern shapes in the high Froude number regions

any ideas, suggestions or comments
    Everything helpfull that would steer me in the right direction is highly appreciated.

Best regards
    josch

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

You might want to ask the University of Michigan Marine Engineering Dept directly. They are the developers of PCSail, an excel based VPP program.

3. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

josch,
    I am looking for similar VPP capability, but not looking to write the code myself. I'm looking for code that will be more comprehensive than PCsail that includes a variety of asym headsail options (job tops, flat code0's, fuller downwind asym chutes) that most VPPs do not handle.

I anyone knows of decent code that can do this, I am looking either for purchase or service to generate polars.

Any help would be great, thanks.

4. josch

josch Junior Member

Maybe.... you could ask the guys from the Wolfson unit in Southampton....they probalby have data out of their wind tunnel... and if you really want to purchase some stuff.....although I am not sure if it is really for purchase is the North Sail programme....I don't have much information about it.... but you find quite a lot in the internet and it looks very sound and suitable for your needs.
    A word of warning at this stage....don't have tooo high expectations....the sails part is really just one side of the equation...don't spend a huge efford, when on the other side is just a Delft Series and you wanna do skiffs in Froude numbers of 0.55 or so.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.