a cable housing or covering?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by thudpucker, Aug 5, 2009.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I have a drop down trolling motor and the two cables (one electric, and the other the metal steering cable) from the foot control to the trolling motor have lost their covering somehow.
    Who knows how to find that stuff made out of friction free plastic like stuff that I can wind onto both those cables to make a cover?:)
    complete except for prop.jpg

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You can buy a very heavy duty electrical tape at Lowes and probably Home Depot, not to mention a lot of hardware stores. It is far better than vinyl tape. I used it on my truck wiring where it has to stay in a bundle. It doesn't come undone.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's called "wire wrap" and is usually a PVC spiral. You can also use "wire loom" which is ABS or PVC corrugated flexible tubing, commonly seen in automotive applications. Both of these are available from automotive supply stores.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Great, Paul. I wasn't sure what the material was.

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I found some on boatered. Its in 100' rolls though.
    I'll have to check the auto-parts locally and see what I can come up with. I only need about six feet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.