What to Look for on a roof mounted Spotlight

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by rasorinc, Sep 5, 2016.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I'm confused looking at Spotlights to roof mount on the front and rear of my boat. I want a wireless remote rotating, tilting spotlight that is very powerful but not costing $1,000 or $2,000. led or halogen? How many watts? AC or DC? These are some of my questions.
    Lumens???? My eyesight has really gone to Hell so I want good range and brightness. There are many market brands and I am really confused. I'm willing to pay up to $300.00 for one. Does anyone have a great and durable
    favorite?????

2. Tom Stewart

Tom Stewart Junior Member

LED
    DC
    You probably are not going to locate anything wireless.

You likely will not find anything useful in your price range.

I went through this same thing and ended up with a used ACR found online for $250 and basically took it apart, cleaned, greased and installed...it works great.

It it the RCL 100D. It has two 55w Halogen bulbs...plenty bright to navigate...You can find it for $900 online or get the LED version for $1300.

I have used it for one season and it works fine for me.

Here is a link https://www.gps4us.com/ACR-Electron...848jjVM6cf85g8tWsWj-kDOyC7yJtdFRKEaAmoX8P8HAQ

Good luck,
    ts

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Thanks Tom.. I'll look around for a quality used one tike you did. Just cant pay 800 bucks
    for a spotlight with all else I have to buy. Thanks again, Stan

4. Tom Stewart

Tom Stewart Junior Member

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I would look at an old spotlight and convert it to led, there seems to be many bright inexpensive blubs available. I am in process of converting all my lighting to led.

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Currently the Chinese are offering LED replacement bulbs for halogen H1, H3 etc., prices under $1.
    I converted the 4 rooftop spotlights on our dune buggy. The halogen bulbs were 50W, the LED lamps 4.2W with almost the same brightness because the voltage drop in the wiring is much lower.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Thanks every one for your input. It would nice if all the manufacturers all used the same standards for their product but they all seem different. candle power, watts, lumen and so forth. Stan

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm thinking of designing an automotive (cop car, etc) MAGNETIC mounted spot light.

During my required "Police Ride-Along" I was impressed at how useful the spotlight was for checking for prowlers, lighting up 'subjects', etc. The old cop said "yep, couldn't do without it, especially working without a partner".

I also notice many cop cars don't have them these days.

I know for a PD to do ANYTHING it cost 4X as much since any drilling into cop cars gots to be done by semi-qualified professionals, etc.....

SO......

I was thinking there might be a market for an "instant" magnetic sticking slap on the roof or fender spotlight. Probably something like this http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-con...late_136.jpg?fit=700, 9999&crop=0,0,100,530px but a little bigger with more defined center. Streamlined enough that you wouldn't need to worry about it coming off during a fast chase, etc.

It would come with a remote control that would control it via blue tooth.

It would be battery powered but include an optional cig-lighter plug in charger for continued use.

The general idea would be that any vehicle could be come a Spot Light Car instantly. A PD facing a sudden need for lots of SLCs could order them next day Fed Ex and even just lease instead of buying. And no hole drilled in the cars.

If someone separates it from the controller inside the car it starts screaming and flashing for all its worth. Yeah, I guess it could also have "flashing red (and other color) feature and even loud speaker/mic.

I guess the cord tech could be adopted for non-magnetic mounting apps, like boats that aren't made of steel.

Also a decent range remote remote control, so you could slap it somewhere and operate it from 100yrs away.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.