Who can make me a cost effective mold for a 11ft polyethylene hull?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by sir-speed, Jun 1, 2005.

1. sir-speed

sir-speed New Member

Hello All, I am looking for somebody to make a mold for me for a polyethylene hull which i would like to mass produce.
    It is a start-up business so we would like to keep the costs way down, we have been quoted as much as 100,00euros for such a mold but we would be lucky if we could afford even 10% of this.
    Does anyone have any experience in rotomolded hull design and manufacture and where would you suggest that i go to get the molds made and what would be the best way of then getting the hull produced?

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

What are your cost perameters and your part measurement tolerances?

3. sir-speed

sir-speed New Member

Well, as little as possible as we are a start up company, we would love to get away with the whole mold and machine for about 8,000usd but we have absolutely no idea what this is going to cost. All we know is that there are ways of doing everything. And i am not sure what you mean by by part measurement tolerances, is that shrinkage once the cooling part comes out of the mold?

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Contact www.wavewalk.com

He's done what you want to do and is very open and willing to share what he's learned.

5. sir-speed

sir-speed New Member

Thanks Jem, i will check it out, best regards - Peter v.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.