HELP: what do boating manufacturers want?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Ryan, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

All my life, all I've ever wanted to do is design/build power boats. I've read alot of what people have written, but I still don't see what I'm looking for.

I'm currently a full-time student getting a drafting degree and I'm also a part-time draftsman at a tooling company.

My question is some what simple, what is the best route to land a boat design job? I know that a wimpy drafting degree won't cut it. I've recieved info. from Westlawns...sounds great, but how does a professional design certificate compare to a 4 year degree? Therefore I'm looking at 2 routes before Westlawns: Mechanical Engineering degree or an Industrial Design degree. The reason for ID or ME is because I don't want to be speacialized (quite yet) and unable to find a job. At least with an ID or ME I can work almost any where and then look into Westlawns to get a solid background.

Now, with all that out of the way. What do boating manufaturers want, mechanical engineer or industrial designer?

I've tried contacting companies and everything, but no luck. If anyone has any direction please email me...please!!

tucker_12001@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

2. MDV

MDV Junior Member

A Naval Architecture degree will overlap with a Mechanical degree with a lot of subjects such as Mathematics, Mechanics & Materials so this will give a good foundation. I'm not sure about Industrial Design, but my feeling is that the best bet is to get the fundamentals from Mech Eng and go from there.

Why don't you do a Naval Architecture degree? there are plenty of job prospects that have nothing to do with small boat or yacht design, such as the DOD, Oil & Gas, Ship Repair, Research etc....

Regards,

Michael

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.