A Beautiful Box...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

OK so I have been getting into trouble lately with the geek squad armchair fascists - that's fine...

Thing is - I just sold my keel boat and I regret it - it was a nice little boat that gave a man time to think and drink - thing is - that with the Olympics coming our way - moorage is going up by thirds in False Creek where the city is building 'the village' - mine went from $1780.00 to $2340 in one year - time to sell and bail...:)

Today I just bolted in a tank taller than myself - yesterday I came home bruised and bleeding from sailing in my friends Holt Enterprise - nearly lost a most useful finger too...

I sold him that boat for a buck - he has kids and they love it - but hell - they also FIT into it - me - I did NOT have fun - I am getting old - getting fat - getting protective of my shins - and quite frankly - I miss my keel boat that let me have a break once and awhile to either smoke - pour a drink - or use the pooper without going all spastic flying squirrel on me...:)

So I am back to the trimaran - looking at Marples and Hughes 3 meters and the like - some Cross designs and such - you have all seen my Gecko 14 (see gallery) and it is 'doable' - but it is complicated (8 sheets for the main hull alone)...

So once again I am in the quagmire of what to design and build next - a beach bomber - a fast yet stable - at rest - drink pourable - backyarder that can pack onto a Toyoto - or small trailer pulled by same - a good mash and hash...:)

Any thoughts...:)

For all of youse' who think this post to be a waste of your time and of myself - or even of your time wasted here - or the sanctity of this site - well - just go find yourself a donkey to play with and shut up...:)

Below is something I started when I patched myself up from the sail in my old Enterprise with my more 'athletic' friend Dave - he was not bloodied - he cycles to work and takes vitamins and stuff...:)

Just now I am going to go have another gin and tonic - perhpaps light up a dry Cuban hand rolled cigar - play some violent sniper like video games - and generally just NOT be self righteous...

Then I will go to sleep - get up and make some coffee - and go to work...

SH.

Attached Files:

2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I am not weird man...... but just like your design and attitute....... do you want to design per project basis......... maybe we should try the PM message? Thanks

WDH

P.S. Here the local prefer river housing and river transport option....... suit your style?

3. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

What happened to the Atkins house boat?

You would probably still have to moor that - oh and comiserations on the mooring-rate rise. Ain't the Olympics fun! (no- the Olympics is great really) I'm surprised the moorings weren't moved out and the yachts sent packing.

Why not start on your small motor-sailor idea (the one with the lift keel). Borrow some money :D and build it at home - with the idea to sell. That will get the creative juices flowing:idea:

In the meantime, if you want to bomb the beach, why not a canoe with a small, sail set-up - pick something up somewhere. Get fit in the process :p

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Are we witnessing the germination of the notion which will become a worthy rival to the Great Pelican?

5. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I would go with a small sharpie (about 15.5 x 4ft) with its traditional two masted rig. You need something light, directionally stable, and easy and quick to set up. Having seating in the bottom of the boat as upposed to its upper sides would help too. That way, your body acts as fixed ballast rather than the moveable kind.

Such a boat would be easy and quick to design and build and would be a charm to use. It could be launced from a snow mobile trailer as well. Keeping the sail area south of 100sft would go a long way to keep the relaxation high and the 'excitement' low.

Bob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.