Union Jack

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by iceman46, Mar 12, 2015.

1. iceman46

iceman46 Junior Member

This is my first time so I will try to keep it brief. My wife and I are planning to build the Glen-l Steel Union Jack and I was wondering if it were possible to build the superstructure in aluminum alloy. Any help would be much appreciated.

Iceman46

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Yes indeed, it is a common prodedure nowadays to build alloy superstructure on a steel hull.
    They can be simply bolted isolated with gaskets or welded to a bimetal fusion strip which has steel on one side and alloy on the other. I prefer the bolt on approach.

The scantlings need to be changed a little for the superstreucture, slightly larger frames and thicker sheet but it's worth doing.

3. iceman46

iceman46 Junior Member

aluminum superstructure

Thanks ever so much Mike

iceman46

4. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

5. Union Jack

Union Jack New Member

2014 Glen-L UNION JACK

Hi Save Yourself $100.000 build sheet . My 2014 Glen-L New Union Jack Is Up for Sale . If not sold We Will Be Leaving Seattle May 15th to S.E Alaska Bonvoyage Take a Look at the boat and Let me know if you are interested . Here Is Craigslist Link with my contact info . A Must See Boat http://missoula.craigslist.org/boa/4922967291.html

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Umm - "All Emenities " ??

Have you got some bad feelings included in the price ?? :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.