Inflatable Boats Air Floor Dropstich

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mgerman, Sep 6, 2013.

1. mgerman

mgerman New Member

I am looking to change my rib for an inflatable (to save on storage space). I know these boats have an air floor. Been reading online about the fabric design. Can anyone explain how durable is dropstich fabric? Saturn boats advertise a drop stich fabric on their boats and I just want to know if its all that great, cause their price is not that bad.

2. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Junior Member

I don't know anything about the particular fabric Saturn is using, but drop-stitch fabric has the potential to be extremely durable and I wouldn't necessarily worry more about it than the bottoms of lower-end RIBs, if I was buying. Hopefully someone with experience with one of their boats will come along.

Drop-stitch is a really neat technology. My employer has done a decent bit of experimenting with drop-stitch fabric boats, some of which is reported in http://www.cdi-gs.com/Media/newsletter45.pdf