Sea Cloud Hussar being built in Galicia

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guillermo, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Designed by the spanish NA Íñigo Echenique, the three masted Sea Cloud Hussar is currently being built at the Factoria Naval de Marin shipyard near Vigo, Spain (and even closer to Pontevedra!), for an autumn 2009 entry into service. At over 135 meters long and 17 meters in beam, she will be the largest full-rigged passenger tall ship ever built.

She flies almost 4.000 sqm of canvas in 27 sails, and has a diesel-electric propulsion plant. Masts height is limited to 58 m, because of the bridge over the Bosforus, as she will usually sail into the Black Sea.

More at: http://www.seacloud.com/html_en/ueberuns/ueberuns_presse_segelschiffe.php

I'll post more info from the building as it becomes available.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Our paths cross again, Guillermo.

In the fall McCurdy & Rhodes (to whom I'm available on a consulting basis) was in early discussion with someone who wanted to build a very large sailing vessel. I expect that project will not go further until the U.S. economy gets straightened out, but it caused me to read whatever I could put my hands on about Sea Cloud II.

Then Sunday (about 40 hours ago) a lady friend asked what I'm doing this summer and what I'd think of a trip to Spain. Your posting is outrageously serendipitous. Not all my thoughts concerning the trip are related to boats, but some are. Your suggestions are welcome, here or to my personal e-mail.

Buenos Dias,
    Stephen

3. skyskier

skyskier New Member

The original " Sea Cloud "

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

If true, their claim to really sail, rather than motor with the rig up only for assistance or to steady motion, distinguishes them from some of the other "windjammer" cruise ships.

That's a beautiful picture of Sky Cloud. Reminds me of Montague Dawson's study of two great clippers, Ariel and Taeping, hanging in my office. (Only a print :( )

Attached Files:

5. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.