wood veneers on old boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by David G, Oct 6, 2009.

1. David G

David G New Member

Hello to everyone. I have just joined this forum and have already found some great information. I'm trying to fix an old (50's) wood Peterborough sailboat and starting thinking about using thin wood veneers on the hull and deck. I would sand down both areas well, place the thin veneers with the appropriate glue and then seal it with clear epoxy resin. Has anyone done this and if so is there a better way? Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can place veneers on just about anything. I'd recommend epoxy as the adhesive and to encapsulate the veneer. Of course the epoxy will have to be top coated with something to protect from UV (varnish, urethane, etc.).

Laying veneers on a deck is a different matter then a hull. These get direct exposure to sun light. Thicker veneers are necessary on decks to prevent issues and ideally it should be vacuum bagged to insure good contact.

What specifically are you trying to do?

3. David G

David G New Member

Thanks. I am not trying to completely restore the boat, just to fix it up enough to be safe and look good. So, instead of replacing the hull cedar strips i would like to prep them, sand and then finish with the veneer in a nice wood pattern on the hull and deck.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Fitting veneers over the deck and hull is a complicated and time consuming job. Expensive too. What is wrong with the boat? If the wood is in bad condition, you won't be able to glue anything properly to it.

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

7. David G

David G New Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I can see that this is a great forum for sound advice.