9mm plywood cover with fiberglass

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Jakjit Singh, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Jakjit Singh

Jakjit Singh Junior Member

Hai again,

I am now in the mist of building my Transom, I have done the rest of the frame, now left the transom only, can I use a 9mm ply and place a 1 1/2 " x 6 " of plank across the transom, for the outboard??

2. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Yes you can, but I would recommend a clear 2x8 (1.5 x 7.5 inches) because it's taller and stronger. A 2x6 might be okay but the transom is really not the place to skimp on strength since the entire weight of the boat is being pushed from there.

3. Jakjit Singh

Thanks angain Ken..

4. Jakjit Singh

Sorry... should read as "Thanks again Ken"

5. Jakjit Singh

I intend to fiberglass my wooden plywood fishing boat, but before I fiberglass(encaplulating) it what should I do ... Pls advise... Thanks

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

make sure all holes and voids are filled. make sure all turns (angles) are sanded to a radius of not less than 1/2 inch.

Follow the surface preparation guides you will find all over the internet that recomend things like a complete clean with acetone, then plain water.

Make sure the surface is fully dry and dust free, and then give it an initial coat or two of epoxy.

Really, there are about three million detailed explanations of applying epoxy on the internet, lots of advice on previous discussions - you dont need to be told in detail all over again in this thread.

7. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

thats actually really funny cause i know of a lot of 40ft cats that go offshore that are all built from 9mm ply and a lot of them are still sailing
    sean

8. Jakjit Singh

Hi.. How high normally the side of a boat to build, say in my case my boat is an open fishing boat and its 24 feet long and about 5 to 6 feet wide?? advice please???

9. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

FOLLOW THE PLANS PLEASE !!!! :) I Assume you have them ?

10. Jakjit Singh

Actually I modified the width. The original width is 4 feet, so do I need to increase the height of the side frame (by how much), I am thinking a 3 feet high...

11. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Wider or narrower? By how much? What is the new width? If it is wider it's going to give you a faster roll -- hopefully not so much that it will injure the passengers or make them seasick.

Is it too late to go back and build it according to plans?

If you don't want to make the sides the proper height according to the plans, you can make them taller for better seakeeping, or you can make them shorter so nets and crab/lobster/fish traps are easier to use.

12. Jakjit Singh

Its wider by 1 1/2 feet... I has finish building the frames and now on the building jig. Too late ot go back.

13. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Well then, good luck. I hope it performs acceptably with such an extreme modification.

14. scott_in_az

scott_in_az Flotsam

Hi All,
    Thought I would bump up this thread as I would love to hear of any progress Jakjit or others have made on builds based on the FAO V-Bottom Fishing boat plans. I recently downloaded the plans and was pleased to see much of the process well detailed.

Jakjit mentioned building the boat at 24 ft x 5ft (adding that he was widening the beam from 4 ft.) The plans for this boat (in each of the several lengths detailed) is, I belive actually 6 ft.

Surprisingly, the process for widening the beam of this design (up to a max of 20%) is also well detailed in the plans. It does not call for increasing the height of the side frames. The plans detail both traditional planking and plywood construction (9mm).

I was attracted to the boat by the designers stated design goals and the combination of sweeping sheeer and V-bottomed entry. The amount of rocker, and the narrowing of the beam towards the light weight transom (9mm) reflect the low power (6-8 hp), low speed (6-8 knots) intentions of the designer (Oyvind Gulbrandson). Though I might prefer a design with a little less rocker, a little wider aft, and a transom stressed for 20-30 hp, I am hoping to find photos or other input from builders of the FOA boats currently under construction.

Hats off to the designer, and to the United Nations FAO for making the plans freely available.

Scott

15. scott_in_az

scott_in_az Flotsam