Teak wax

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Nick F, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Nick F

Nick F Junior Member

Hay guy

Just after some advise on teak wax. I previously owned a boat witch had teak combings on it and when the boat was purchased the yard gave me a tin of teak wax. (can't remember the brand). that boat is long gone and so is the tin of wax. the new boat also has teak combings but the yard recommended teak oil. After 8 year the timber on the new boat has not lasted any ware near as well as the old one. I have put this down to use of oil on the new teak and wax on the last boat.

What are you guys using on your teak?
    What brand of teak wax would people recommend?

Thanks allot
    Nick F:)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I just had this conversation with a customer. It may not be the oil versus wax thing. It could simply be the quality and/or attachments of the new lumber.

Frankly, neither oil or wax will stop much moisture vapor penetration into and behind the teak. Oil is a traditional treatment and works moderately well, but requires a fair amount of maintenance to keep looking (and performing) well. Wax is about the same, though offers, slightly better moisture vapor penetration protection. Both are less the 30% effective, so as a protective coating, they actually suck in comparison to the next best thing, varnish. Varnish is good for about 68 - 70% effective moisture vapor penetration, which is fair better. Shellac is better still, though is broken down by petrol chemicals, at 75 - 78%. The urethane's (often marketed as varnish) are about the same as shellac. Polyester resin runs from the mid 80's to low 90's, with epoxy (the best stuff) from the mid to high 90% bracket.

Preventing moisture vapor from getting into the wood is the trick. The better the product you use, the easier your maintenance tasks will be.

I'd use tung oil over wax because of contaminates that wax can bring along, if I elect to change my mind about bright work later. Though honestly, in my climate, oiling/waxing is too frequent of a job, so I don't bother unless it's a client request. Particularly in light of the much better protection and maintenance routine you can get from other finishes.

3. allchevelle

allchevelle New Member

Use SUNWAX

A quick and very easy way to treat your teak is SUNWAX. I have found mine at RONA Home & Garden stores in CANADA. Or, you can buy it only at www.rona.ca using the product number 8325001

It does a wonderful job, and really pulls out the beauty of the grain, and protects the wood from the sun and rain.

Good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.