95’ motor yacht exhaust cowl re-design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bouman, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Bouman

Bouman Junior Member

Hi

please advise, thank you!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  2. Bouman

Bouman Junior Member

This seems to be a more thoughtful design:

Attached Files:

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I am a bit baffled (this is easy to achieve with me, don't worry).
    Re your second post, re the 'more thoughtful' design, is this another boat, or even a sistership?

The second last photo in your first post appears to show a rather large stabiliser fin, with some sort of end plate - is this correct?

There seems to be a lifting strake / fence of sorts to help prevent exhaust from spilling into the prop tunnels?
    Re the strong vibration, does it sound like the noise that a bow thruster makes when you give it some power?
    Do you get the vibration on both motors at speed?
    Is it noticeable when looking at the shafts spinning in the engine room?

Re how she is 95', with 2 x 1,800 Cats, I would have thought that you are doing pretty well to reach 18 knots - although your fuel burn must be very high.
    Does she cruise happily at around 10 - 12 knots?

Re adding trim tabs, what with those fairly large tunnels for the propellers she does not appear to have a lot of lifting surfaces, so maybe trim tabs will help - they would probably have to be pretty large though, and no doubt rather expensive?

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

How about some photos of the whole boat, so one can see the proportions and locations of all those underwater gizmos?
    Is there an accurate description of the boat available?
    Looks like a bad dream to me!

5. Bouman

Bouman Junior Member

Fixed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  6. Bouman

Bouman Junior Member

A sister ship..

Attached Files:

7. bajansailor

Ok, so she is a 95' Azimut - they seem to have been a fairly popular class, as there are currently 7 x 95' Azimuts for sale on Yachtworld (2 are newer 2017 raised pilot house models rather than flying bridges)-
    Azimut 95 boats for sale - YachtWorld https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/make-azimut/model-95/

Again I am baffled - what is this $31 million yacht that 'your' Azimut is being compared to?
    Are you the captain / project manager, and you currently have spent $4 million on a re-fit re the 'improvement' mentioned?
    Or have I totally misunderstood your sentence above?

This is a powerful assertion - what other 'bits' on the boat also come into this category?

Have you contacted the Azimut folk, to ask for their opinion on the matter?

Might it be worthwhile asking a question on the Azimut Facebook page?
    Azimut Yachts https://www.facebook.com/AzimutyachtsPage/

8. bajansailor

Oh dear. Does your owner possess two boats, one worth $31 million, and this one around $4 million?
    The Azimut's sisterships for sale generally seem to be around $4 million re asking price, and even though your last re-fit cost almost that, it would not have improved the value by very much.

"There is a guy here called Gonzo I think that usually explains why people’s ideas may fail; I was hoping for some of that.."
    @gonzo are you around?

There are quite a few Azimut owners posting (and lurking) on the Motor Boats section of the YBW Forum in England - it might also be useful reposting your original question on this forum?
    Motor Boat Forum https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?forums/motor-boat-forum.14/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.