9' Seamaid. make it up as i go. foam glass carbon oddity.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Givitago, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Givitago

Givitago Junior Member

Hello Designers and professionals of your respected fields, my first post
    and my first full scale scratch build.

I am aware nothing about this build is (kosher)to say the least.
    It is experimental and a learning process.
    I am good with my hands and a quick study bear with me.

So have a laugh take the micky and leave some constructive thoughts.

Then decided i needed a tender for missus and kids who cant start 2 stoke outboard. also i have never seen a usable scale version of this boat and i might get a few laughs cruising drinking beer around the bay.

Started as plans for a 1/4 scale 1940 Sea maid
    I decided Foam core fiberglass construction on a budget.

First wrong, 1/4 scale plans enlarged 200% then added 50mm to each floor rib it increase entire width of beam Bad idea again, but i got the size pictured in my head.

Second wrong its a construction grade closed cell foam buzzed with 60grit to hopefully bond to glass laminate using epoxy resin.

Picture says a thousand s words to keep you interested or laughing.

Attached Files:

2. Givitago

Givitago Junior Member

Frame section
    2 x layers glass laminate both sides of 30mm foam then band saw cut ribs.

sheeting 10mm foam.. gunnels were fixed to build table and carbon roving added to "stringers?" the longitudinal foam sections just for stiffnas as they wore to wonky to work with. Then resin with flaring power to glue sheets on.

Inside is flared with 2 part closed cell expanding foam and sanded back, hoping resin will bond better into the sanded cells, Inside 2 layers of glass over all and 3 layers around ribs. So now i have 5 layers around ribs.

Hidden Transom. wood block added for engine mount 3-5 layers and some carbon to entire transom, the more i build i am worried about de-lamination so i drilled 5mm holes thru transom every 200mm and fed thru carbon roving to tie-in laminated sides.
    more making it up as i go, or is this a common method i dont know.

The outer i figure 2 layers of glass or just keep going until required strength is met. i also plan to foam fill over the internal glass to build a floor then glass again but this will make a 2 foam 3 glass layer probably wrong as well.

I like the rear end look of the Riva Lamborghini so i added sections to get the sloped look. as it sits approx 15kg no glass on outer yet

Attached Files:

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Welcome to the world of crazy nuts that enjoy punishment.
    I'm on number 6 and the plans for number 7 are half done already.

Don't worry
    just keep on going
    and enjoy

always remember safety first
    wear a life jacket

enjoy :D:D:D

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Like Manie said.

It looks swell. Enjoy. Be safe and keep us posted on latest developments.

5. Givitago

Givitago Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome Manie and Hoytedow
    No cant stop now, my problem is my creative juices flow before my research does. learning by trial still at this age.

I have done some vacuum bagging for RC air frames and scale boats i thought time to step things up

The foam is Saviro, extruded polystyrene closed cell like modeling foam. has this product been used in boat building ?
    I do not expect it to have any structural strength sort of like an internal mold
    Is this a regular method.
    Cheers

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Closed cell Styrofoam has been used extensively in boatbuilding. Had you been using polyester resin instead of epoxy the process would have been more difficult.

7. Givitago

Givitago Junior Member

Bit of a stall in progress
    Now fitting out, decided on a single seat Fwd to aft like a jet ski, this should stop kids fighting about who's driving and keep them in the middle. It should still seat 1 adult and 2 kids. this will also house battery centre and at lowest point and allow fwd to aft movement to trim.
    70lb thrust outboard hidden inside unless beaching it can be raised by 12v actuator.
    Floor was a tad flimsy so i added another 20mm of foam and more glass so now is double sandwich.
    1 layer of glass to go over top deck once finished flaring.
    Under side of top decks is carbon reinforced ribs and takes my weigh sitting on them no problem.
    have all the vinyl wrap ready woodgrain mahogany for sides and golden teak for top.
    Steering is pull pull para cord inside ali tube with rollers welded each end.
    Dry hull weight about 35kg

Attached Files:

8. Givitago

Givitago Junior Member

Made it to water, Coat of interlux perfection and sea trail before applying the vinyl wood grain wrap, marked a water line while loaded.
    Surprisingly stable i imagined it to be like a canoe but quite the opposite, i can stand on one side of the seat with very little roll.
    Eventually will be the kids and missus tender

Attached Files:

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I like it, good job.

Thank you for the update.