Foil-Assisted Groupama Sets Round the World Record!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

1 person likes this.
  2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Doug, very nice, but those boats are out of my league unfortunately. Toys for the very rich.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Groupama III

Fanie, theres another way to look at it-maybe: theres a bunch of sailors on that boat and I doubt they all are rich. They're talented and got lucky- something that could happen to any of us that were talented enough and determined enough-and lucky enough. I guess what I mean is that you don't have to own it to possibly enjoy it. I feel lucky to be able to follow their progress and hope they make it this time!
    ---
    And ,by the way-thanks!

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have to admit it must be one hell of a kick under the butt thrill on that thing. I have a long time ago (really long time !) realized that what I don't build myself I don't get a ride on :D

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Groupama Stops

Groupama has endured record stopping damage to the connection between the port hull and the crossarm-she is heading-slowly- to Capetown. Good Luck ,guys!

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well, for repairs they defenately head to the right place. Safa's are known to make a plan and we usually overdo things slightly when it comes to strengthening things :D If they can keep the local 'authorities' from helping then all should go well.

I wonder if the extra 2kg design in strength would have prevented the damage :D

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Interesting article-thanks Ad Hoc !

9. Catbalu

Catbalu Junior Member

Groupama was docked across from us this summer before they crossed the Atlantic. Banque-Populaire and Sobedo were also there. They are unbelievable.

Attached Files:

10. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Well, I haven't been on either BP, or G3, but Sodeb'O is certifiably amazing as a sailing machine.

Speaking of G3... the boys (including Sodeb'O's Thomas Coville, if he doesn't fly home) have a really long slog to get the boat back to France after they effect sufficient repairs in Cape Town. Putting the boat and their heads back together in time to catch another positive weather cycle will be on the iffy side of things.

This boat, G3, has been snake bit... hard. I wonder how this cycles, mentally, for the sailors who are going to be asked to get their heads around another JV dash this sailing season?

Truthfully, I'm just wondering if BP has the collected sack necessary to make their own jump for fame this season... in light of how things have unfolded for G3 and their past two attempts?

I'd just love to sit in on the discussions between the skipper, designers and the structural engineers of BP as they dope the mishaps of G3 and their own boat's build.....

11. Catbalu

Catbalu Junior Member

Here was one of BP. We were the biggest sailboat in the marina till they pulled in 3x's bigger.

Attached Files:

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

-and dreams for the poor. At my age, I'll take the dream!

14. bertho

bertho bertho

guys,
    cammas and other adrenalinealialcoolic fly again around the world..... the talent is not to have the money to do some dream, it's the talent to find the sponsor to do it!!!:p
    i know few of this guys, they just do there dreams! without money..!!
    the race is just the awarning after years of obstination... i prefer to see some sponsor dropping they money on maxicata devellopment (some of them have huge investment return..) than football/soccer/ etc... just my point of view ! :p
    incredible wind machines, i'm not sure any motor boat can do it without refuelling ?? 20/30knt average speed around the world ?.. excected nuclear war machine... :D

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Groupama record!

From Scuttlebutt Europe this morning:

First Record For Groupama 3 During The Jules Verne Trophy
    Taking just 8 days 17 hours and 39 minutes to traverse the Indian Ocean, the maxi trimaran Groupama 3 skippered by Franck Cammas has snatched the record held by Orange 2 since 2005.

At 2322 UTC on Tuesday 23rd February Groupama 3 crossed the longitude of Tasmania, to the South of Australia, which marks the exit from the Indian Ocean and the entry to the Pacific Ocean.

Having rounded Cape Agulhas off South Africa 8 days and 17 hours beforehand, Franck Cammas and his nine crew participating in the Jules Verne Trophy have taken 17 hours and 25 minutes less than the crew of Bruno Peyron some five years ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.