80 Mercruiser 898 wont start

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by dannysalmon, Jun 2, 2006.

1. dannysalmon

dannysalmon New Member

I have a 1980 Glastron with a v-8 Mercruiser, The boat ran perfect right before I stored it, but I have been trying all spring to get this damn thing started. A good friend of mine who is a mechanic said it was the points. I replaced those and still wont fire. I have got it to fire a couple of times, mostly right when I turn the key, also it putted a couple times when I let off the key, What should I do next, I don’t want to buy new parts if I don’t need them.

Thanks in advance

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The starter has a bypass ignition wire that powers the coil while cranking. If it dies as soon as you stop cranking the ignition switch is probably bad.
    To troubleshoot, turn the ignition on and test for power at the purple terminal in the coil. If there is no power check for bad connection or switch. Don't replace any parts until you troubleshoot them and are sure they are defective.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.