80 foot cargo harryproa

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by lucdekeyser, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Gringles

Gringles Junior Member

Proas are the most important boats because they can do better than normal multis because they are cheaper and faster. And someday after all of the polar ice melts all that will be left in the world after the apocalypse will be cargo proas.

2. Russell Brown

Russell Brown Senior Member

I think you may only find one person who says those boats are very light and easy to build.

BlueBell likes this.
  3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Yes, yes, we see it... Calm down, take some medication... :D

4. Gringles

Gringles Junior Member

Thanks Alik!
    I've enjoyed researching your sailing monohull designs. The Alien design, and the 8 meter with a forward swept keel and canard are particular favorites of mine.

Have you ever designed an 8 to 10 meter racing multihull?

5. Eric ruttan

Eric ruttan Senior Member

Oh? Do you know a lighter or easier to build design?

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Racing multi - nothing which is built. We design cruising multis - the market.

7. Gringles

Gringles Junior Member

Weight to windward proas would need a beefed up righting arm when loaded.. which is probably why the designer is interested in trusses.

A Pacific proa would make for a much better cargo proa.

Proa File | The Case for the Cargo Proa https://proafile.com/multihull-boats/article/the-case-for-the-cargo-proa

This article explains why only Pacific proas will be used after all of the polar water melts and makes the oceans taller.

8. Gringles

Gringles Junior Member

If that's true, then why make the smaller scale prototype with a different rig?

What specific questions did the full scale prototype build answer that you couldn't get through less expensive, and more specific materials testing?

I'm interested in better understanding the scope of this project.

9. lucdekeyser

lucdekeyser Senior Member

I'am quite sure that if all of the forum members participating in this thread would be discussing the same topics around a coffee table or in a bar or even better in each others' building shed we would be pretty much good friends. We all know the vulnerabilities of using a forum when discussing multifaceted topics. Please do not feed negative spirals.

The idea of a proa cargo is not new. Here is one of such experimental boat sailing with a load of 2.5 ton of pebbles as a prototype for a much larger vessel. I believe this is from the guys of Jours Meilleurs, one of the largest French Proa's (or Prao as they call it).

DogCavalry and Tiny Turnip like this.
  10. Gringles

Gringles Junior Member

The futuristic cargo ship made of wood https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20201117-clean-shipping-the-carbon-negative-cargo-boats-made-of-wood

Here's a similar project that apparently didn't need to build a prototype to determine the project economics. How did they do that?

They didn't even build a smaller scale model before building the prototype?

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

People that paid attention in middle school science class know that when ice melts the volume decreases. A glass of water with ice cubes filled to the rim will not overflow as the ice melts; neither will the oceans.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The project economics are relatively simple to calculate. It will run at a loss and will only survive through donations and volunteers.

Alik likes this.
  13. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

People who paid attention in school know that the vast majority of polar ice sits on land.

DogCavalry, Dejay and rwatson like this.
  14. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Or government funding.

15. Gringles

Gringles Junior Member

Sure... OK... and I suppose you are also gonna tell me you think the earth is round and that rocks are made of dinosaur bones and that Santa works for the Russian CIA. I respect your "beliefs." I simply don't share them. And, that's ok.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.