74 Chrysler 555HG Ign. Switch wiring

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Charles 563, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Charles 563

Charles 563 New Member

I just purchased a boat with a Chrysler 55HP, Model 555HG, SN: 3740. I had to replace the ignition Sw. The way the old sw. was wired confusses me.

Old Sw Wiring
    I - NC
    S - Yellow (Start)
    M - Blue (Every thing I find said this should be Black "Ground" and goes to M.)
    B - Red & Orange (Battery & Overheat Indicator) Paralled to a sounder device.
    M- White (I am uncertian of type ignition is on this motor - New to Boating.
    C - Green (Choke)

Black (Ground) was not even connected

Should Orange be connected to B (Battery +)?
    Should Black and Blue be connected together on "M"?
    Violet is not used on this Motor.

Does anyone know what type ignition this motor has?
    Please NO GUSSES, Only Facts. I can't afford to dammage Ign. Module.

2. wooky

wooky Junior Member

I hope this helps

Hiya Charles, I dug out an old manual on a 45 HP Chrysler I had years ago. On the page with the wiring diagram it mentions the overheat buzzer and light "accessory overheat warning device supplied with 55 HP only", so I'm figuring just maybe I can help you. Since they mention the 55 I would think that the motors are quite similar. In the book here is how the ignition switch is wired:
    "I" Blue wire to the coils
    "M" (looking at the back of the switch this M is to the right of I) White wire to other side of coils. The M to the left is not connected.
    "S" Yellow wire to the neutral safety switch then to the starter solenoid.
    "C" Green wire to the choke.
    "B" Red wire to the circuit breaker and the rectifier.

The orange wire goes to the overheat sensor and dash warning and since you mentioned the purple wire not used I am guessing that you don't have the warning buzzer/light.

Being a '74 model it most likely has points ignition, the rectifier works with the alternator as part of the flywheel. There should be a sticker on the motor under the harness connection telling where each wire goes on the motor

I hope this helps you out, did the engine run when you bought it?

3. Charles 563

Charles 563 New Member

Thanks Wooky,
    I broke down and spent the $45, and purchased ine service manual since I couldn't find aby connection on the motor to the black wire. As near as I can make out, without pulling the flywheel, this is a magneto ignition w/ points. blue wire goes to "M" on the switch and the orange wire connects to one side of the overheat warning device and the other side of the device connects to "I" on the switch.

I still haven't tried starting the motor. The boat needed a good cleaning and all new interior, so I've been working on the boat and rewireing it for a trolling motor and the motor control for the Chrysler. I hope to start her up late this week to see if I get to fish this summer. The man I bought it from did get it to start and run. since it had no water to it he only let it run about 30 sec.

Once again THANKS for your responce.

4. wooky

wooky Junior Member

Good deal Charles, maybe we'll see ya out on the lake this summer, I'll be out there as soon as I finish the complete overhaul of my hull (new stringers and transom wood). My Dad had a 55 HP back when I was in high school, good running motor and the only thing we ever had to do to it was jump the neutral safety switch one weekend (replaced before the next outing). They don't give much warning that they are about to go bad but when they do you'll pull your hair out trying to figure why it won't start now when it was just running fine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.