72 Glastron restoration

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gsus, Aug 7, 2007.

1. gsus

gsus Ing Gsus Torres

i've recently aquired a 72 16' 52 hp glastron runabout in Douglas Arizona, a think a got a good deal for it as i paid 600 dollars, the floor was rotten and it need it be removed, i did it, and now i found that the transom has de lower par rot damage:( as it seams to be in the bottom half of it and the upper seams to be dry and strong (i try punturing in several partas to see if it was soft or loose ) i was thinking :confused: in just replacing the botom part with new plywood, and reinforsing the upper half with fiberglassing, and with an added structure to place part of the weight of the motor in the new floor stringers, nor the fiberglass or the gelcoat of the transom are damage in any way, i'm puting some of the pictures of the boat and the damage transom to be seen, any sugesting would be apreciated since neer by where i am there is no one who does this jobs.

on the first photo you can see my boat, on the second is the boat onces i took the floor out, then are 2 pictures of the damage i found in the transom.

tnks 4 all the help and coments, and sorry for my english as i 'm mexican, and not very proeficient on the lenguage:) :p

Attached Files:

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Gsus,

Your English is beter than my Spanish! :)

If you use the search function for the term transom repair, you'll find that this subject has come up several times before. There are several threads with very good advice and instructions. Basically, you will need to remove and replace the plywood in the transom. You can do this from the inside, leaving the outer fiberglass and gelcoat intact. Glassing in new plywood will give you a "better than new" transom. Beware of removing only the soft wood; rot is a product of mold and similar living organisms, so it will spread unless all the wood near the affected area is removed. It's not much more work or cost to replace all the wood in the transom compared to replacing half of it.

Good Luck, amigo!

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I've seen this on other boats and it is actually better and easier to replace the whole piece of wood rather than to attempt to replace only part of it.

5. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

6. phi784

phi784 Junior Member

Have you used this product yet? If not what do you know of it. I have heard of similar products but have seen mostly negative info on them. I am repairing a small center console and this could be helpful.

7. gsus

gsus Ing Gsus Torres

Tnks for all the help and comments

First i want to tnk all of you, for the coments, now, Charmc, i talked to a person who fixes boats in Guaymas Sonora (at San Carlos in the marina), told me that it was posible to fix just part of the transome, but that in a few years 2 or so i would have to do it all again, and that probably it coud afect even the new stringer i put in, since the transon sits in part on them for streght, so i guess i will change the compleate trnasom ply, as Ike, and Charmc say at the end is just going to be easier, cheaper and it probably will outlast the time i keep the boat, i´ve seen the page USCgret is posting, and i´ll be doing something like that, as for the material seacast, the guy told me that is just some kind of a filler, that is good, but that he normally uses glue with wood saw dust, and as a filler it works good, and also told me to use it in the parts where the stringer don't touch well the hull as it will help prevent water or moisture accumulation there, under the fiberglassing weld, and i´m thinking in placing a construction plastic in between the floor panels and the carpet and over the transom taking it over the walls of the boats some 5 to 10 in, to better prevent water from filtering down to the new wood under the floor and transom, i didn´t what to remove the motor nor the top of the boat, but i see now that it will be the best way to go as it wont take much more extrawork, and it will be more safe and solid the reparation, as i dont what to end up swimming back to shore or loosing the motor, just for a quik fix.

i´ll be posting photos, and comments on how the boat is doing, but i have 2 more question, for those of u that know about sea and fishing, first, does it afect the color of the hull the chances of good fishing?, as i will like to pain it red to match my truck ( is vanity i know), and one more is not in my plans and is not the reason a got the boat in the firt place but, could this boat be use in the sea, or would it be to dangerous? it just that my gandparents got beach front house in "Las Bocas" Sonora, i was just wandering, i know the motor would need a salt water anodizer, but beside that is it posible, and what would it take to marinize the boat??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.