just wanted to say hello

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Sean Duval, May 9, 2019.

1. Sean Duval

Sean Duval Junior Member

Very long time reader of these forums...
    Never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge and information is shared and stored here. I have found this site to be absolutely invaluable for learning what 1 can do, should do, and absolutely should not do regarding boats and designs.

My own personal questions I will post when I get it formed nice and concisely so as not to be misunderstood in any way. Speaking of that still trying to decide whether I should drag up a 2006 topic that is exactly what I have interest in...or let that one lay and start another so as to not drag up the dead and to allow new thoughts to occur.

Thank you all again for your knowledge and have a great day

Sean Duval

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Yuma, AZ well ain't that something.

Welcome to the forum.

2006 'eh, hmmm, did it involve a submarine?

3. Sean Duval

Sean Duval Junior Member

No....I am fascinated by submarines...but living in the middle of the desert here in az not really anywhere to play with one.

My interest is offshore fishing boats...have a lil 16ft cc I run a ways offshore with but cant sleep onboard. And almost done with rebuilding a 2150 wa that was more work than I anticipated...and not sure i will like it when done...but will be able to sleep aboard and when sold get most of me money back.

So back to the topic I wanted to dredge up...long narrow planing hulls, intending to build in aluminum when the time comes as i have the equipment and the skill set. For efficient lower speed planing. And having seen that topic I so wanted to drag it to life, but figured better to start a new thread....which I will do eventually probably next week as I don't want to sound like an idiot when i describe my wants and reasons for those wants.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

"Long and narrow planing hulls" don't plane very well unless you put a lot of HP to them...

Just saying.

5. Sean Duval

Sean Duval Junior Member

I could be wrong, but I think we may be looking at planing a bit differently. I view it as exceeding hull speed and rising up from displacement mode to a mode mostly dynamically supported by the water due to fwd movement. Which I think can be done with relatively low hp requirements...like they did before the internal combustion engine matured very much.

I'll get the proper thread going this evening....and if my boat still floats after holes get put in it here then it has a viable chance to work. Else I'll just have to rethink things and try again.

6. tpenfield

tpenfield Senior Member

Greetings . . .

It would be best to start a new topic. You can always put a link in your topic referencing the one from 2006.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.