70 ditmar sportfish - survey next week- what to look for.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Danviletim, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Danviletim

Danviletim New Member

We are in contract on a 70' Ditmar 1986 Sportfish w dbl planked mahogany 1 1/4. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Ditmar-Donaldson-Sportfisher-2387347/Everett-Marina/WA/United-States

The boat was refit including 3000 addl fastner in 2005 in Newport ca. From my visual inspection

1 2-3 inches of wood rot (paint in take, but wavy) around two port holes
    2 - fiberglass decks have some area cracking and peeling.
    3 - paint on fiberglass superstructure is in poor condition
    4 - stabilizers and bow thruster might not be working

If there's burg left, I'd like to add teak decks to the cockpit and fly bridge aft. Would love some feedback and words of caution!

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Here's a word of caution---It's a wooden boat for cheap.

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Let's see, they repowered in 2009 with twin 750hp engines, and are selling for the cost of the new engines.... I would be incredibly concerned that the boat is too cheap, and since it is wood, that it has major rot somewhere. Frankly I would keep the surveyor there until he found some major problems, and if he couldn't find it, get another surveyor. If the second couldn't find it, then maybe I would feel comfortable.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

IIRC PAR is the only wooden boat insurance (or something like that) inspector in Florida.

I'd consider it wise to fly him out with expenses to inspect it.

5. Danviletim

Danviletim New Member

In comparison it's a cheap boat, but also a pretty penny to return to yacht like. A full paint job alone could be $60k. What's more scary than wood is so many systems. Stabilizers, bow thruster, 5 Acs could all use 5k each or more.

I'm realistic and I'm excited to be in contract. We have a good size budget to make it nice and it is really pretty spectacular inside. Pics don't do it justice.

Any good recommendations of yards in Seattle?

6. freediveII

freediveII New Member

what ever happened?

out of curiosity , what ever happened ? who was right ?

7. groper

groper Senior Member

Main consideration I'd be worried about is the maintenance and running costs... Even if there is rot, it's easily fixed... The paintwork and other repairs will cost a lot more to fix than a few rotted planks...

Like I said, running costs will be large on a ship like that...

8. Marlineer60

Marlineer60 DREAM- EXPLORE-DISCOVER

I know the boat "Wild Eagle" Always thought it would be a great boat here in Alaska cruising Southeast AK. and or Prince William Sound. Valdez AK. is where we moor the Viqueen. Not to change the subject on the ditmar donaldson. I see she is for sale again. Anyone want to partner up?

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I think he flew par out and ran out of cash keeping him in beer and women let alone the survey.:D

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What a load of rot ! :)

11. Marlineer60

Was the foredeck rotted? Brokers advert read: vessel hull to be found sound. I had heard that foredeck was in need of some work.(Alot). Any way same broker has it up for sale again. No pictures of haul the out. Looks like the same old one, I wish I could get the straight scoop on her. It's hard (Spendy) to shop boats from Alaska. Thanks

12. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

You need to get down there with a surveyor and check it over . If you can't afford to do that you can't afford the boat . As mentioned above running and maintenance cost will be huge for a boat like that.

13. Marlineer60

Yes that is a reasonable assumption // including the time to leave the state, and locate a knowledgeable wood vessel surveyor. I'll just keep tabs on the price for a while for now.I just wish the Grandy was a glass hull..problems solved. It's a tank just returned from a 2000 nm. trip around the Aleutian chain this summer.. she ran out fine..just add more paint after this winter Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.