89' Evinrude 110 HP not getting on plane

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by mlopez0519, Jul 9, 2014.

1. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Can any one help with this issue? When it's in neutral it revs up fine, but when I try to take off it does not seem to have the same power and RPMs only go to between 2000 & 3000. I do have the trim all the way inward down towards the boat and I notice as I trim it outwards it gains a little RPMs but still lacks power. As I lift the engine higher to above the boats tunnel it also acts a little better, but over all not the same power it used to have. I removed the carbs a couple weeks ago to clean them out and did notice it turns on way better now, by the way. :confused: could it be lack of pressure due to fuel line taking in air?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you measured the fuel pressure?

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You might not have all four cylinders firing, check to see if all the plugs look the same, if one looks wet and the others dry, it has not been working. In any case, you should secure a workshop manual for it, and run the checks listed therein. You may have a dead coil, or some other ignition problem, or even a faulty spark plug.

4. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Thank you Gonzo and Mr. Efficiency for replying! I was thinking earlier about the fuel pressure check and thought about the spark plugs but didn't want to believe that could be it! But that's just me, :( but I will definitely check them. Thanks again, I will get back with you guys once I check. One question though, how can I check the fuel pressure?

5. Mr Efficiency

You really should not tinker without a workshop manual. But I would take the plugs out and inspect them to start, if you have been running the engine for a long period at idle speeds since it's last hit-out, all the plugs may look a little wet. After a period of under load high speed operation, plugs should appear dry, and a grey/tan colour.

6. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

Ok thanks I definitely will get a manual

7. mlopez0519

mlopez0519 Junior Member

What are the symptoms of a spun propeller hub? And how do I know what hub it takes?

8. Mr Efficiency

The motor races without any increase in boat speed, this can happen intermittently, especially when accelerating. You may need to have it re-bushed, not an overly expensive job at a workshop.

9. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Presuming these two questions are related, usually with a spun hub the RPM will go up without much thrust produced -- once the hub starts to let loose, applying more power will make it let loose and RPMs will go all the way up without much additional thrust (inner hub spins inside the outer hub when the plastic/rubber insert lets go). Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

10. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Correct. ^

In the majority of cases where an engine is behaving sluggishly as OP has described, I've found fuel delivery to be the culprit. There is a fairly long list of things that fall in to that category however...:rolleyes:

I just finished the recovery of a 40HP Yamaha 4-stroke..two of the three carbs were badly crapped up with ethanol sugar and aluminum oxide.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.