Outboard rudder vs. inboard rudder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by designdreamin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. designdreamin

designdreamin New Member

Looking for a pro's and cons list, mainly performance oriented, on outboard versus inboard (under hull) rudder.

boat type: A pretty light ficticious sport sailboat D/L is less than 100, boat could plane at times downwind or hot reaching. SA/D over 25. Ballast to disp ratio of around 40%, moderate beam to length, not narrow but not wide.

just general thoughts to get things rolling. I appreciate the help.

Performance pro's and con's
    outboard pro's
    I'm told farther away from the keel. but why is that important.
    more direct feel?

Can make a narrow rudder due to no rudder stock. but why is this important and doesn't a rudder too thin harder to drive in the groove...or is it easier?

Outboard cons
    ventilation? But what exactly is this and doesn't a inboard rudder experrience it anyway? At what point does it happen and can the driver prevent it? If the boat is sailed without a lot of weather helm isn't it a mute issue? Flat is fast???

Inboard pro's
    balance? But can't a outboard one feel balanced?

inboard cons
    short "wheelbase" hencec turning radius or feel?

Again I'm just getting things started, I hope someone can come up with a better organized pro and con list of both. I am just looking for a general education on this.

I apprecaite the responses. I understand being "new" to the forum and asking a quesiton that was covered before can be frustrating for regulars. I tried to search but couldn't find a direct discussion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.