Help!!!! (1964 Grady Lapstrake)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by chappy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. chappy

chappy New Member

Hi folks,
    I am new here but not new to boating forums, I have a 1964 Grady Lapstrake (all original ) cabin cruiser in need of desperate help.
    My friend and I tried to launch her to transfer to a newer trailer and there was a log that was in the water we hadn't seen that some how got jammed between the trailer and the hull, ( punctured through the floor, possible broken/ fractured ribs??)
    Now I am trying to find anyone who may be able to help me get her fixed and show me how to tend to her so that she isn't in such desperate need of help/repair any more. (she was neglected before I bought her in 2011.)
    So I am trying to save her from a chainsaw...
    Please, any help or tips is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all kindly
    and have a blessed day

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

I work on this type of hull frequently, but being 1,500 miles away precludes my efforts.

If you hauled her out of the water like that, she's probably gotten a few broken frames, but she probably had a few anyway.

There are lots of repair, restoration and builders in Maine. Who have you tried?

3. chappy

chappy New Member

Hi PAR

Thanks for the reply,

I haven't tried any as of yet as this just happened the other day and it is raining like cats and dogs.

Before this happened she looked fine
    (other than the transom as I know it needs to be replaced already.)

but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been anything wrong prior to this.

I can take pics and try to load them here, if they come out wrong I will apologize in advance.
    I made a make shift diaper to patch the hull briefly just long enough to load it back onto the new trailer.
    Don't laugh, it worked.
    Got it onto the trailer now need to find a reputable shop to do repairs.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I believe that Alan White is a Maineac who will know who and where the good little boat yards are. Alan is a senior member here, a nice guy who may be able to give you some clues. Try using the forum to PM him.