I'm not sure about 'submersible' but this folding cat/tri/mono.....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

concept has me thinking.

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20606

I could see this working as either cat or tri.....in combo with its retracted mono config.

Yes, I've seen other folding retracting cats and tris, but this concept has the hulls conforming when retracted into a mono hull.

Maybe a sailing cat or tri, AND a planing or displacement mono hull?

Flat outer hull outer sides, for correctly asymmetric sailing cat/tri outer hulls, which pivot inward to create a deep-Vee planing hull? Center hull would be either a narrow tri hull or "wave breaker" if a cat.

I don't think the odd shape of the cutouts in the center hull to accommodate the outer hulls would be too much of an INTERIOR design problem as boat interiors have been designed around the dictates of the outer hull all along.

I could see this working in about 20' open boat, as well as larger.

For larger boat where outer hulls would be living space you'd have to go with that crazy German(?) micro-apartment that is a cylinder that rotates to change the same space from bedroom to office, etc....so I guess whether you could sleep or write would depend on what the boat was doing.

1 person likes this.
  2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Squidly,

Some things you should take as a joke, an artists imagination exercise, or the product of a 15yo transformer daydream.

Hopefully you did not draw this?!!!

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I didn't draw it, but still has me thinking.

I could see it working as sail-cat and planing runabout.

4. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.