60's Binks Flying Dutchman, re-rig - HELP?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by HELLICONIA54, Jan 14, 2011.

1. HELLICONIA54

HELLICONIA54 HELLICONIA54

I am rebuilding a Binks FD.Replacing the ply cockpit flooring for one.When i bought this boat($50.00AU with trailer and all sails)I knew nothing about sailing.I just couldn't let a boat sit and rot.LOL Anyway,i'm learning to sail and will soon be re-rigging the FD.Thing is,I have no idea where half the stuff goes.I havre taken alot of photo's but,,,Does anyone here know anything about the set up on one of these boats?Any help would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

There are a whole lot of FD aficionados out there. Post a request on the Dinghy Anarchy forum of Sailing Anarchy - as well search the archives. There are lots of threads of FD rebuilds to be found, as well as pictures, rigging guides etc.

--
    CutOnce

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Uffa Fox design, ex olympics, I used to sail a Contender (KA2), single handed duchman really, great fun.

Many of then still in sheds here too.....mostly going to waste, sad really as they are one of the prettiest boats ever made and sail really well.

5. HELLICONIA54

FD rebuild

They are a beautifull boat.Pity all the videos show them in heavy seas and strong winds.LOL my wife swore she'd never sail in it.ah well.I just want to use it as a day cruiser,underpowered if need be.As old as it is,,,it can NEVER be competitive.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Taking your woman out on a traipse dinghy, might not be the best nookie credit earning idea you've had.

7. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Uffa Van Essen, rather than Uffa Fox. With input from Conrad Gulcher. And still the best upwind ride in the world, imho...!

8. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Also try looking at http://www.calfd.org/ - tons of pics of rigging etc. and advice on how to run the rigging/gear placement etc. And have a good dig around the Harken website for diagrams too, very useful. And last but not least, the International Flying Dutchman Class website has a forum where loads of people can answer your questions.

Hope this helps,

Andy

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...yep, thanks Andy.....

10. totomatoto

totomatoto New Member

Hi everyone

I also had opportunity to buy an old FD hull built by Van Doesburg ( NED ) in 1965. The owner wanted to build the boat himself but has never done it. Reading the FD's history, and captivated by the boat, I couldn't resist and bought it. Therefore, I now own a empty old but brand new FD hull in plywood, mast, sails, and a bunch of original fittings !

In my case, and because I have to build the boat almost from scratch, I looked arround on internet to find kind of an established design, plans, pics etc. Like you said, many variation in FD design were made, and no standard can be found.

The previous owner also gave me plans, printed in 1963 by IFDCO. They even show two kind of layout. Plus the original invoice from Van Doesburg said that the hull was made for a single bottom design ( the hull is just an empty plywood form with centerboard "box" attached and keel strengthening ). That's why I first decide to build the boat like it would have been built in 1965 ( i.e. Single floor, no bouyancy tank ... ).

After a bit more reading over the web ( woodwork forum, fdbulletin.org, sailinganarchy ) I changed my mind. It seems that single floor design FD are pretty hard to put right when capsize, and with no bouyancy tank some kind of dangerous. I've navigated on Laser Std for one year, and often in water ;-)

Now I want first to build the cradle, since the empty hull is pretty flexible. Because I can have a free access to A0 printer, I managed to get the curves with the offset table I found in the class rule, via delftship ( free 3D hull modeler ), but I'm not able to get section curves correctly. I think I gonna try to copy/print the fullsize IFDCO plan I have. Then glue on plywood and cut the cradle section. What do you think ?

I would be glad to share about my project. Any help would be much appreciated. In France, were the FD serie did not have the same success as in US, Australia and North Europe, it s hard to get advice ( the 505 serie "stole" in France the success of the FD, and FD were reserved mostly for the best french competitor navigating in international events ;-(((( )

Regards

Thomas Chabrol

11. HELLICONIA54

my Fd project is on hold for a while My hartley ts16 is taking o=ver.The Fd besides timber framing is all 3mm ply.Binks in Adelaide told me that rigging details nolonger exsist,so if i'm just sailing her.Just rig it as a dinghy.I found no help in most forums as most members sail up to date modern boats.they are as cheese to chalk to mine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.