~60' Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jroger, Mar 25, 2014.

1. jroger

jroger Junior Member

I am interested in building a medium sized pontoon boat using modular plastic pontoons. It would be used in a saltwater inland bay and canal system so a relatively shallow draft seemed like the right choice.
    Ideally the vessel would be ~60' and stable in light chop. Although it would primarily be operating in protected waters some safety from swell is also required as there are many large boats in the area.

Desired Features:

• < 65’ total length
    • Maximize stability when at rest (drifting & at anchor)
    • Maximize interior space
    • Enclosed upper compartment helm with laptop, radio and instruments
    • Made from low cost & easily obtainable materials (wood, rubber, plastics)
    • Or salvaged materials (used tires, old windows, recycled materials)
    • Resistant to corrosion from salt water

For propulsion I am looking at some fancy lithium battery electric inboards but I would be interested to know about more economical solutions.

Electric inboard motor(s):
    http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-outboards/deep-blue-for-commercial-operators-and-green-boaters

Torqeedo lithium battery cells: http://www.torqeedo.com/us/technology/lithium-battery-technology

Low energy LED running & interior lights: http://www.ecolightled.com/index

Energy efficient sound system: http://www.scienceandsons.com/#/PH_III

To recharge the battery several sustainable energy sources backed up by a gas generator:

Solar: Marine Solar Information: http://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-panels.html

Wind turbines: http://www.wind-smile.com/products/turbine-1kw.html

Heavy duty anchors at each corner of deck:
    http://billspringer.blogspot.com/2011/03/which-anchor-holds-best-14-anchors-are.html
    Fortress looks like the obvious choice

I am inexperienced with building boats so any advice or help (links please!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

That ain't no Shantyboat, that's a Hotel

3. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

I have a share in a 55' pontoon houseboat on Lake Powell and while we have a pair of Mercury Big Foot 60's I find it to be somewhat underpowered. It really struggles to maintain 6mph into a headwind. The deck is about 3 feet above the waterline and only once in a while will we take water over the bow and into the cabin. This is when we cross a particularly large wake and I blame this on the pontoons being of constant width with no reserve buoyancy. If there was even a tiny bit of flare to the 'toons they would do a better job of rising to meet the waves.

Do they make a 50 plus HP Torqueedo?

4. jroger

jroger Junior Member

Like a small riverboat, sure.

Apparently they make an 80hp version. Link

5. Westfield 11

How much does it cost? Is it comparable to a used outboard? We have to replace the power head on the RH motor and we have budgeted $1000 for a used one self-installed. The current used motors are about 20 years old and we got them as takeoffs from the rental houseboat fleet so they weren't babied. Honestly, unless you are rolling in money and want to prove how Green you can be it is hard to beat a gasoline outboard. Especially a used one since the first owner took the carbon hit associated with manufacture. And just how green are lithium batteries as far as manufacture and disposal, not to mention the carbon price of charging from local mains electricity. It is one thing if the local power company uses hydro power and another entirely if they burn coal. If you are gonna use a gasoline generator to recharge your batteries you might as well improve efficiency and avoid the batteries altogether. At least you will be able to have a quiet boat once you have anchored up for the night if your propulsion engines have also been charging your house batteries as you travel during the day. Unless you have an oversized and expensive gen-set with capacity to power both Torqueedos as well as recharge the house batteries simultaneously you will have to listen to the gen-set run all evening to have a full charge in the morning. Given how most rivers twist and turn don't expect solar panels to add much to the equation, odds are they will be at the wrong angle for maximum efficiency. Not much room for panels on a 60' houseboat anyway unless you want to be walking on them all the time. If you stick them up in the air as a sunshade/roof you will have added a fair amount of wind resistance and will need more motor or more throttle so you will need more panels which will add to top hamper and drag needing more motor and batteries.

6. jroger

jroger Junior Member

They are more expensive but have the advantage of not needing fuel. Over the long term if you're using it frequently the higher price is offset.

I would like to use the wind turbines to recharge as much as possible. The design I linked is 1kw per turbine so I think 2-4 of them mounted to the top should offset drain from the motor and provide adequate power for recharging in between uses. Having a generator would be mainly for safety/redundancy.

I agree solar seems less useful. I am not sure exactly how that would be integrated but it does seem more fickle than wind turbines, especially in this area which is very windy.

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Your kidding right? Those 80hp equivalents draw 60kw each at full power. Even assuming you will only be running at 1\2 power that's still 60kw used for every hour of operation. Assuming your wind generator actually produces 1kw you are looking at almost three days of recharge time for every hour of boat time.

8. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

And what is your budget for this boat? $5,000 or $500,000?

9. jroger

jroger Junior Member

Electric motors are most efficient at low speeds but its a good point and something I would like to address.

I would like to spend under $200k. Some of the components, especially electronics, must be new but things like lumber, tires for bumpers and so on will most likely be recycled or salvaged.

10. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Compare your needs to this Glen-L house boat 45' can be lengthened to 50' says Glen-L
    They show a HP to speed chart in their details for wood, fiberglass, steel or aluminum
    build. Also look at Huk Finn as it can be made very large and is pontoon. Look up the build pictures of these to see what is involved. stan http://www.boatdesigns.com/45-Bon-Voyage-steel-plywood-fiberglass/products/165/

12. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

JROGER, what is the largest diameter plastic pontoons you have found?

13. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

There is a man on this panel who is building a huge pontoon craft and he
    bought huge pontoons premade by a fubucater some where in the south and he posted pictures of his build. I'll try to find those for you in a bit and other posters may remember. He makes custom machine guns.

14. Westfield 11

How many years will it take to amortize those Torqueedos, batteries and wind generators compared to a pair of used OB's burning unleaded at $3.65 a gallon? Our HB gets 2 to 4 MPG a side depending upon conditions and if I am towing my 24' Daycruiser. It also holds 150 gallons of fuel not counting the toy tank which means we have a decent range before fillups.
    When sizing motors remember that it is useful to be able to make progress against a 5 to 6 MPH river current even if only to be able to go back to the fuel dock when you find that you left your credit card or glasses behind. (Aske me how i know) Unless you want to return to those thrilling days of yesteryear when men were men and river barges only went downstream. It would be nice to have more than one shot at a given riverbank mooring as opposed to missing the first time and being unable to try again due to strong current and weak power.
    I would not expect much from wind generators since most rivers are lined with trees that block the wind. There is also the associated drag of having 4 large spinning discs to force through the air. And the neverending high pitched whine of the wind generators themselves, unlike a gasoline generator there is no way to put them into a sound shield.....

15. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.