Open BIC as People's Sailer

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Chris Ostlind, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

A while back there was a thread about that other, People's boat, as supported by one, Mr. Lord. (Now who'd have thought that)

I never got into the foiler aspect of that design idiom because it was too complicated and too expensive. It was also not of the type of boat one would see on the beaches and docks of sailing programs around the world which would spring forth from Yacht Clubs, etc. This made the foiling genre products distinctly outside the flow, if you will, of modern sport boat thinking.

Forget the troublesome foiler mentality for the effete sailors who have the cash, the time and the sponsorship. I see the Poeple's boat idiom as one that brings more and more young people into the sailing world through fun boat design products that have sound connections to existing products. I would suggest that you look at the boats that really do get young people on the water on a fun, virtually maintenance free, sailing product that emulates, directly, the sport boats they will soon be gradutating into as teenagers and young adults.

If you want to sell boats, keep the spirit alive through participation and guarantee the success of the sailing tradition, you will look closely at the boats that have this design concept well in hand.

I share with you, again, the OpenBIC sailboat for kids and issue a challenge to any future designers to address this format if you want to get young people on the water.

This from XS Racing: http://www.xsracing.org/

There is no foiling boat product that can compete at this price point for young kids sailing fleets. This boat will blow-off by any Opti pram, El Toro or any other previosly represented youth fleet boat with ease.

The future is now and it isn't in the foiling genre for a People's Boat.

The revolution has begun, again, without the need to foil.

Chris Ostlind

Attached Files:

• 63.jpg
      63.jpg
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

But its a kids boat.. This is a Peoples boat as much as a foiler is.

3. tmark

tmark Junior Member

kid's boat

I want 10 ... 1 for each of my kids, one for me, one for my wife, and the same for my buddy and his family ... they look like a blast, and I know the fight that would ensue around our dock would be deadly if I only ordered one!

Goodbye Byte ... any junior sailing coordinators see this?

4. tmark

tmark Junior Member

Oh and Chris ... good post, good topic, good idea, but lay off Doug, man ... Trevor

1 person likes this.
  5. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

The 'anti-foiling' tirades are getting to be as irksome as the 'pro'.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

End of that episode

Thanks for the comments, Crag and tmark. I get the theme you are posting.

No longer a need to stomp the Doug.

Let's all move on with our own realities and build the sailing potential of the boats we like through incremental development.

Chris

7. Shife

Shife Anarchist

It may be a kids boat, but several adults have tested it, and seem very fond of its performance. Kids outgrow Opti prams pretty quick. This one might keep them amused a bit longer.

8. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I've read nothing but good things, mostly. My point was its not really a "Peoples Sailer", it's targeted at a specific audience, not the general population. I'm not knocking the boat at all, I think it will be a huge hit! Truth be told, I'm not fond of the name. I hate to think in ten years I'll be cruising my Frigidaire 40' to Florida :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.