60' ketch in "Captain Ron"

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by LP, Sep 23, 2005.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

One of my favorite "fun" movies, "Captain Ron", has a 60' ketch in it. Does anybody know about the real yacht. Who are the designers and builders. Is she really 60' long. This will be pushing it, but does anybody know how much of the actual interior shots were done inside.

2. capt'n ron

capt'n ron Junior Member

i don't know any of the answers, learpilot. but i thought i'd add that movie is howi got my nickname. a buddy of mine saw the movie and started calling me capt'n ron because i reminded him of the capt'n ron in the movie, the name stuck and i am called by that monicer all over the area by most of the guys i work with in a about a 100 mile radius of my home town. funny thing is at the time of the movie's debut, there were several people who satrted calling me that at the same time with no co-laberation on thier part. it is a nice looking ketch though, isn't it.

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi LearPilot :cool:

My most favorable memories of Capt Ron were those beautiful legs on the women ;)

However, the boat used in the movie is a Formosa 51.
    If I'm not mistaken, it is the same boat, after some cosmetic changes eg. metal mast etc etc were made, that was used in the movie "First 50 Dates"

OTOH, the boat also looks remarkably like a Hudson Force 51.......

4. Wynand N

There were 3 boats used in the movie. All three were Formosa 51's. One was a total mess, and that one was used in the initial scenes at the dock of the neglected boat. Another was not in quite as bad of shape, but still bad, and was used in the scenes where the boat was shot up by the "pirates of the Caribbean".
    The third boat used for all on deck and offshore sailing scenes is a Formoso 51 named Wanderer, if I'm not mistaken, from Kemah, Texas.

All of the below deck scenes were shot in a movie studio, on a fabricated set.

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Formosa 51

Thanks Wynand N,

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, a Formosa 51 would be 51' LOA? Just curious because they call it a 60' er in the movie. I was going to be quite impressed with the size of the interior if they had actually shot it in the yacht itself. Looked like the master suite had 10' ceilings.

Thanks again.

6. Wynand N

Usually LOA = LOD (lenght on deck). It is rare for LOA to include bowsprits, bumpkins, etc. except when one want to bend the rules ;)

7. seabreeze

seabreeze New Member

both the "Wonderer" and another formosa 51 named "Windborne"are docket within half/mile of each other one in Kemath and the other across the channel in Seabrook,TX. I have been told that both were used in the movie. I have been aboard both, and seen the movie, and I thank, at lest some othe interior shot were inside.The "Windborne" is beautiful has just been refit&refinished.

8. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Well, you do have to pay slip-fees for 60 feet, so why not?

Yoke.

9. Kaptin

Kaptin Kaptin

Do a Google Search for 51' Formosa ketch. The boat used in Captain Ron was a 51' Formosa Ketch called "Wanderer"

10. landlocked02

landlocked02 Guest

Tis true. The Wanderer is a 51 Formosa Ketch. It is docked in Kemah, Tx. Located just down from my brothers boat. It is starting to waste away as the new owners have not been keeping her up.

11. globaldude

globaldude court jester

I too like the formosa design , so much so that I flew to Hawaii to look over a CT41 formosa but ended up buying a Transworld 41 for 20K , a centre cocpit aft cabin with fibreglass decks and cabins . It is esentially the same as the formosa's , that is, William Gardner design but unlike most of the Taiwan boats it has glass decks and cabins . Story goes a couple of American guys ordered the glass decks etc for the same design as the CT's , Taichi's , sea wolf's, hardins and by what ever else name they go under .

I have edited this post severely as it has had the desired efect [ for those who read it first -- he has offered to pay me back :) ]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  12. Reckless

Reckless Guest

13. sbluejean54

sbluejean54 Guest

60ft Ketch in "Captain Ron"

Hi LP, as previously posted by Wynand N., the "Captain Ron" Ketch is indeed, the "Wanderer", a Formosa 51 and yes, it is slipped at the Kemah Boardwalk Marina in Kemah, Texas.

My wife and I loved the movie and wanting to see the boat, sailed through the Marina last year and saw her. If memory serves, she's on the 3rd pier in from the marina's water entrance off the Seabrook channel (the Seabrook channel takes you from NASA's Clear Lake, to Trinity Bay). Stop in and see her sometime. :cool:

14. Jack Tar

Jack Tar Guest

The Wanderer is presently for sale on www.yachtworld.com . I also had my vessel the Angelique for sale last year but pulled her from the market until the economy changes. Many of the movie shots were filmed on sets. The engine room for one. It's not hard though to make a cabin look large. Here is a shot of my main salon shot through a fish eye lens. Oh and my overall length is just over 59'. LOA She is a center cockpit model.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Captain_Bly

Captain_Bly New Member

Captain Ron and the famous Wanderer

Well... How about an update on the famous sailboat used in the Captain Ron movie, "The Wanderer"? The newest owner (owner number 10) wanted a project that he could renovate for retirement and cruising. The mystic of the Wanderer movie life and saving the vessel from Davie Jones Locker played a key role in her purchase. Not to mentions, an excellent price. After taking on what looks to be a 4 year project, I moved her over to the yard to let the work begin. Once in the yard, I took a long hard look at what once was a magnificent vessel; that, sadly to say individuals just could not take care of her over time. I stepped back and said, what did I get myself involved in, and, where do I start? That ended up being an easy decision...stop her from sinking! Next we evicted the live aboard "taking care of her". We immediately gutted the interior and sprayed to eliminate a zillion roaches and mites! We then pulled the 120hp Ford Lehman engine out and took it to the shop for a complete rebuild which should take about 7 to 8 weeks. As the days passed we cut out 9 stainless tanks and removed all the plumbing, wiring and everything that had either worn out or was just not needed. Starting with her bottom; as she had 18 thru-hulls. WOW! It looked as if each time a previous owner wanted to add something to her that required punching a hole in her, sadly they did. We closed off all but 9 and replaced the old gate valves with modern day brass ball valves. Then off with the old prop as it was badly in need of a new one. We moved to the rudder; off with it I said, as it was in worse shape than we originally thought. Water logged and damaged we cut it in half then rebuilt it from the inside out. After 30 days on the hard in the yard and a new bottom job, rudder and prop; oh, and all those new thru-hulls we splashed her for a short tow over to Waterford Harbor Marina where she will stay until she's a beautiful sailing ship once again. Once she's back you will be able to charter her on Galveston Bay through Windsong Charters.

Now how about a little history? She was built in Taipei, Taiwan in 1978 by the Formosa Boat Building Company. The Wanderer got her name from the movie production company. Previously she was named Sea Deborah III, Le Charmay, Billie's Pearl, Lade Hawk and finally The Wanderer which is the perfect name for her future life! Hollywood created an amazing interior and wonderful story about the vessel. Many people want to tour her to see the engine room, have their photo taken in the shower and also see the carved bedposts with the initials of Clark Gable and Carole Lombard. You'll have to visit her yourself to see what might be true or possibly a little exaggerated! Many people also want souvenirs from her such as her hand carved doors...whatever people. One of the reasons the new owner selected Dockside Boat Repair for the re-fit was because we would modernize her but will still keep her classic historic look. Stay tuned for future before and after photos on her amazing transformation. Captain Bob

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.