60‘ catamaran cruise

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ExileMoon, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ExileMoon

ExileMoon Junior Member

L 18.4m
    B 10.8m
    D 1.0m or more

displacement:
    15T or more

Design process:
    1, to determine the 20 bunk;
    2, all the bunk are located in the hull, and above the waterline. Two ends of the full width cabin (1.8m), length 2.6m. Intermediate 3 (1.2m wide) connecting corridor (0.6m), length 2.1m.
    3, the salon is located in the front of the enclosed space to connect. After the open deck;
    4, the bridge above the salon;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. BPL

BPL Senior Member

ExileMoon, tell us more about what you are doing.

Is it a design exercise or a concept for a real boat?

What is the Statement of Requirements?
    Where will it be used and what are the goals of the design?
    Start with an SOR and general arrangement plan before doing 3D.

3. ExileMoon

ExileMoon Junior Member

I want to design an experience of life at sea for catamaran cruise ship, its ability
    to trans-Pacific. Expect it to have fast, safe and comfortable features. She has 20
    bunk. Aluminum hull.

Relatively high (she is not a racing boat) through the use of narrow waterline area
    of ​​lower resistance, and wide hull to increase the use of the wind capacity.
    Larger width allows her to resist the larger waves will not tip over. And compared
    to single hull boat, capsized catamaran is fatal. Of course, in small waves, the
    roll will be lower.
    In separate compartments, try to meet the structural requirements (rather than
    trying to use space), to increase strength.

Her appearance a bit like a low-observable, but this is just a design style, not
    with stealth capability.

I do not find the bow tip is used, only a closed space. So I cut it shorter height.
    This allows the ship bow waves in a large (3m or more) when the waves lift the bow
    of a smaller force, so that pitch is expected to reduce the number.
    In addition, the lateral area of ​​the wind will drop some, and construction
    materials can be saved.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

5. ExileMoon

ExileMoon Junior Member

Aboard the boat's construction will cost about $ 240,000, the equipment to be $ 100,000.

4 cabins double bed with separate bathroom. 6 cabins with double bunk, can only use the public bathroom.

If adjusted for the 6 double cabins, you can use the luxury bathroom. But can only accommodate 12 people.

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Figure at least 5 times this number, and more likely 10 times. 60' boats that sleep 20 can't be built on your budget, and assuming you want to charge for the berths you will also have to meet commercial standards. I am not aware of any trans-oceanic 60' cats that can sleep 20, but assuming you can have one designed that you are happy with, expect a build cost more in the two million range.

After a quick search I couldn't find a single 60' cat with more than 12 berths, assuming two people per berth, and even for a 20 year old used boat prices were in the $400,000 range, with non-fixer uppers being significantly more.

7. groper

groper Senior Member

boats can be built much cheaper in china... 2 million USD goes a hell of a long way over there....

8. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Groper,

Building them in china doesn't help much with the price of metal, engines, sails, ect... You might save 20% by getting effectively free labor, but the rest has to be bought at going prices.

9. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

all of which are a fraction of the cost in china

10. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Saba,

Steel plate prices in China are within spitting distance of the price paid anywhere else in the world.

Cummins diesels, other than shipping are the same price everywhere,

Masts are heavily effected by shipping costs, but the parts are the same no matter where you buy them.

Electronics... Well a ray marine package is the same price no matter where you get it from.

All sails delivered in the US are built in china or Indonesia anyway...

So other than labor costs where exacally are the price savings. And if you think you can buy plate steel for a significant discount in China let me know where, sine I am happy to arrange shipping for resale in the us. The reality is almost everything using in the boating industry are world commodities, and location just doesn't effect the price that much.

Exchange rate is actually where you are likely to see more coat variability which is why the Aussie yacht building industry took off in the last decade.

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Not if they are the genuine imitation clone versions.

He may be able to do it cheap,but like stumble says will it meet standards?

12. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Lol, sure you can get a big diesel knockoff, but I don't want to rely on it to cross the pacific.

And remember this is going to be a boat for charter, figuring 3 crew plus a cook for a trans-pacific crossing will run, what 20 days at sailing speeds? Even at a pretty cheap $100/day/crew that's $8,000 a trip in labor costs. You might be able to save a little here, but figure the captain needs a unlimited area license, and cooks are normally pretty expensive that number is likely conservative, even with slave labor for deckhands.

13. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Is that right
    How come I can buy my B3.3's in the states for less than half the price of Australia
    Freight is $1000

[​IMG]

Here they are close to $20,000

Bollocks
    I have bought parts OS much cheaper than I can get them in Australia

You do realise that there are other brands

all of them?
    No lofts in the US at all anymore?

14. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Sales tax, VAT, import duties, which in most countries are waived or waive able if the item is being exported, or being used as a part in new contractions for resale.

15. groper

groper Senior Member

Ive been importing EVERYTHING from the states lately, as pretty much everything over there costs half what it does here... car parts, boats, outboards, aircraft, engines, you name it... We pay Goods and services tax on arrival +the freight cost and its still MUCH cheaper than buying locally.

Have you ever travelled outside the USA stumble? If you had, surely youd realize the differences in prices around the world for many things and whilst Ive not been to china, but i can only imagine how cheap things are over there based on what ive seen elsewhere...

For building a boat, id put materials at around 10-20% of the total cost. Fitout equipment and the like another 20-30%, the rest and biggest part is all labour cost... So many boats built in OZ are sailed over to thailand or similar for fitout to save cost.

And you can build a damn nice 60ft cat in Australia (about the most expensive country in the world these days) for under 2 million EASY...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.