6 HP briggs & Stratton outboard conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by HelicopterJohn, Jul 1, 2012.

1. HelicopterJohn

HelicopterJohn HelicopterJohn

Tach Unit

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the additional information on the tach units.

I did a little test this morning in a barrel filled with water to check out the exhaust system. I have a Harbor Freight digital temp gauge. I got readings as high as 740 degrees on the exhaust pipe. The motor case was reading a little over 200 degrees. I cranked up another lawnmower and read the temperatures on the muffler and they were around 350 degrees. Don't know what all that means but thought I would share.

On a side note, I took a moment this morning and checked the Sea King 6.0 HP outboard motor that I traded for and it had good spark on both plugs. So we put it in the test tank and hooked up a temporary fuel tank with no primer bulb to the fuel pump. It started and ran pretty good but I think the carb could use a rebuild as it didn't idle that well. I intend to take the carb apart and clean it and also try and find a proper gas tank that has the pressure bulb in line for priming. It is the old style with only a single line connection. It will also need a new prop as the one that is on the motor is cracked and chewed up. I am pretty happy with the results so far.;)

I found a series of You Tube videos on rebuilding Sea Kings that I think will be very helpful. I will probably start a new thread on that engine.

John

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

like I said try with the std muffler ..take readings if you want and then the new one..shame you could not have hidden the snake in the leg ....

3. evidrine

evidrine New Member

I see that the last post here was from a while back. I would really like to see some updates on how your project turned out. I have a similar project in mind if I can find the parts I need. These threads are very helpful.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.