6’ nano cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Quidnic, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Quidnic

Quidnic Junior Member

Has there ever been a very small micro cruiser about 6’?

just enough room to lay down with head and feet sticking through bulkheads

same scale as enigma but just the little bit smaller scale, everything else the exact same but to smaller scale.

thinking being, if you are going to go small why not go as small as possible that you can still sleep in

Attached Files:

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Why would you want to spend a lot (relatively) of money on building a floating coffin to sleep in, when you can most probably go and find a nice little sailing boat with reasonable accommodation for sale for half the cost of building a coffin?

fallguy likes this.
  3. Quidnic

Quidnic Junior Member

Because it would be so cool

yes coffin would be appropriate name for the project

a coffin with a pointed bow

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The boating equivalent of a bed-sitter ?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Francis Herreshoff cruised on a kayak. He would slip into it for sleeping.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

To me, it looks like a personal torture chamber.

There is literally no reason to build the bulkheads in that fashion other than being locked into a way of thinking or sheer stubbornness.

Strength can be developed other ways than an uncomfortable small head and foot hole.

Then to the six foot. What is the real reason for 6 feet? Again, it seems like the constraint of the design is to make it as low comfort as possible; intentionally.

When you do the hydrostatics for the vessel; change her to 8 feet and keep all else the same and tell me what happens to hull speed.

At least modify the bulkheads so there is ample room to roll over without banging into bulkheads.

Here in Minnesota, if we winter camp; a good winter camping bag has a chest tie, so you can keep the core warmer. Then a head tie to keep the head from losing heat as well. An additional element can be a waterproof bag sack if sleeping on a pad outside(sleeping on the ground is deadly, I digress). By morning, I am so twisted up in the bag I start wishin I had a knife so I can cut my way free. I have to do a deep breathing or two to calm down to get out, but in a fire a knife would be essential. When I look at your accomodations; it so reminds me of the winter bag.

Maximize the spaces for head n feet please and your small boat will get my vote and not my goat.

Tiny Turnip and bajansailor like this.
  7. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

8. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

A bed sitter (even one in New York) would be palatial in comparison - this is more like the boating equivalent of a cupboard (or a coffin).

Quidnic, please, do not proceed further with this ludicrous idea of a 6' sailing coffin.
    Skara has posted a link above to a very neat expedition dinghy which is light years better in every way imaginable than what you are proposing above.

Quidnic likes this.
  9. skaraborgcraft

Quidnic and Will Gilmore like this.
  10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I like the way you think.

It does look like a final resting place, whether you mean it to be or not.

Make her an open dinghy and fashion a custom, watertight, sprayskirt/dodger and boom tent. It can be any shape you want.
    upload_2020-12-3_5-56-35.png
    She's only 6' long. No need for full bulkheads. An Optimist pram with a canvas dodger would work well. Plenty of strength. The mid-ship support is more for ease of assembly, something to bend the plywood around, than for strength.

I love the idea of minimalism, but that would be both for size and cost efficiency.

Keep at it and don't get trapped.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Quidnic and fallguy like this.
  11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You are right, I was being too generous, it is simply impractical, other that perhaps to win a bet of some kind. :) It might be repurposed as a motorcycle side-car.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Quidnic and bajansailor like this.
  12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An Optimist in 7' 9".

Quidnic likes this.
  13. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Quidnic,

After reading through most of your posts on this forum I would wholeheartedly advise you to build a 2 meter Minuet Yacht.
    I know, your ego wants to build your own creation, I get it, I've done it, I didn't finish it and now regret ever starting it.
    But, you need to learn this for yourself if you're not willing to heed good advice.

Post pictures of your build regardless.
    Good luck.

Quidnic and bajansailor like this.
  14. skaraborgcraft

I will add another example. I have no issue with any of these small micro cruisers being used within their capabilities, usually on protected waters, they can be a whole lot of fun, for not much investment, if you really have an urge to build something.

[​IMG]

upload_2020-12-3_18-33-56.jpeg

Do a search for "gorfnik" sailboat.

Quidnic likes this.

15. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

We are talking here about a toy.
    One would have to be really into self-inflicted torture to want to cruise in a vessel so small, and more so, to sleep in it!
    It will be slow, wet, dangerous in rough weather, and could easily be swamped by the wake of a moderately sized cruiser.
    The amenities it will carry will be few and small, with hardly even room for the all important bucket seat!
    The “Squeeze Box” shows a compartment for flares and EPIRB, But I would suggest forgoing such things in the pursuit of a death wish!

bajansailor and Quidnic like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.