5m sport multihull new design

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by josselin, Apr 6, 2010.

1. josselin

josselin New Member

Hi All,

This is my first message here but I have been happy to read you for some time now.

Here is my project: a 5m trimaran.
    It would be a sail boat for daily raid. Friends, family and good fun and speed.

Here are the main fixture of the design I have in mind :
    5m long for the main hull, 4m for the floaters, 4m wide
    weight? 100/120kg
    Sail area : main :14m2 gib: 4m2 spinnaker :20m2
    Floaters about 300% of the displacement
    One rudder and one derive sabre on main hull

Construction : I need to be able to build it myself in a reasonable period of time.
    For the 3 hulls, I would like to use the technique of thin plywood +carbon epoxy reinforcement such as used here : http://www.moth.it/MarcosCorner.htm
    the “roof” would be used only for the main hull to help supporting the mast, the bow could be inverted to be a bit wave piercing, just for fun.
    2 arms in straight carbon tube through the main hull bolded in the hulls.
    Carbon mast unstayed such as http://www.juanyachtdesign.com/projects-krazykyote.html for such a small boat you just need to oversize a little bit the mast section.

I would like this boat to be light but strong, the ply wood would helpfor the shape and resistance, the carbon too.
    I have no really budget for this construction that is why now I say carbon but it could be reinforcement in fibreglass, arm tubes and mast in aluminium too…

Any ideas welcome, comments too

josselin

2. Munter

Munter Amateur

Would you be wanting to fold the amas for trailering? If so, that mechanism will be very important for your design.

3. Milan

Milan Senior Member

4. josselin

josselin New Member

thanks for the links, it can help and gives ideas.

yes it could be folded or i would say dismanteled : the arms bolded on the floaters and central hull could be removed to allow transportation.

i should scan some of my designs for you to have a better idea

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.