'58 Thompson 16 lapstrake... It's MINE...(for $200)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Sep 28, 2009.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Nice. Want to make $200?

3. lewisboats

Add a zero...OK! otherwise...I think I'll play with it myself ;)

4. lewisboats

The rest of the pictures (I think) for now. Will get more soon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've repaired and restored about a dozen of those. You haven't gotten the deal you think you have. Place 200 pounds near the transom and launch her and you'll quickly see. It's still a good find, in fairly good condition, but I see "stuff" in a few of your photos.

It would be very wise to get her sitting on her keel as quickly as possible, with very little weight on the bunks.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

She looks like a very worthwhile fixerupper, though.

7. lewisboats

Yup...saw the "stuff"...I expect to see more when I get the paint off the bottom and check out the keel area. I got a little leaking along the keel when I lifted the tongue of the trailer it was on and the inch or so of collected water ran aft...it kind of dribbled on itself and the rest leaked out the bottom end... Yeow! Sounds like a description of me 30 years from now! The floor boards look to be in good shape though...lots of peeling varnish (I don't think they sanded when they re-varnished) but the stuff next to the wood is surprisingly intact. Plenty of dust and dirt down in there makes it look cruddy. I stuck an awl anywhere I thought the fungi might find tasty and found all solid wood...but like I say, could be rot city under the outside gazillion layers of paint.

Not much bearing aft I take it? or is she rollie pollie?

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer...I hadn't noticed it. I shoved a wedge under the keel so now it only teeters onto the bunks and I can pivot them easily...maybe only a few lbs on them.

Got any thoughts on getting the bungs out without destroying the screws underneath?

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

He meant that it is going to leak. You'll want it evenly supported on its keel. The bungs are just put in with varnish, they'll spin right out with an undersized bit. Every once in a while, some genius puts 'em in with epoxy to "do it right" but DO hope not. Don't worry about the fastener so much as the surrounding wood. Don't F it up.

9. hoytedow

When I want to drill without messing up surrounding area, such as in your case, I pre-drill a scrap and position the drilled scrap over the target and clamp it securely before attacking it with the drill bit, avoiding it dancing off into the protected area.

10. PAR

Bungs are easy to remove if installed properly. Use a course thread drywall screw and slowly drive it into the center of the bung. When it bottoms out against the fastener below, it will force the bung up, often intact. If it does break, you can pick out the bung pieces easily enough. Go slow or you can break the drywall screw or bugger the fastener slot below.

You're going to love redoing those laps Steve. Take your time and find a happy place when you get pissed (which you will).

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

I forgot the drywall bit. That's better.

12. hoytedow

Decking screws work like drywall screws, but are stronger and harder to break.

13. PAR

You only need one Hoytedow to do a whole boat. Okay, maybe you break one and you need two for a whole boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.