55ft steel hull ??s

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by glasssurfer, Dec 7, 2009.

1. glasssurfer

glasssurfer Junior Member

heres some recent pics for you folks. lets keep away from the your boat sucks comments and stick to actually usefull information. thanks for having a look. its a work in progress
    g

Attached Files:

2. timothy22

timothy22 Junior Member

Pretty sheer.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

By so far, I do´nt see the progress to be honest!

Get rid of all the scrap inside!

Ah, and thanks for the update.

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Glass, it is important you ask Swain for the original plans and all the specs, stability calculation, construction scantling and so for.
    He will send them for free I am sure.
    You need them to know all about your boat. And if the builder followed the plans. That is of the utmaost importance
    And insist to Swain you need them absolutly asap.
    Daniel

5. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Daniel
    Thats not a Brent Swain boat. It would be hard to insist that he give you something that he does not have ?
    Tom

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

My apologies, I was mislead by the thread title.
    Daniel

7. glasssurfer

glasssurfer Junior Member

the boat is a brent swaine design but built by 2 local buidlers.

tive just been learning the story behind this boat. and its sure a decent one.

the progress was in the moving of locations. the cleaning of the inside ( i know if doesnt look liek much but i took thousands and thousands of pounds out of the boat. in mud water rotten wood and rocks.

as for the "scrap" its going to be used in the construction of floors walls etc.

almost ready for the concrete wash inside. img oing to build a coverd roof so its dry inside. and the bottom will be soon after.
    cheers folks
    g

8. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I may have missed it earlier, but was this hull free?

In my conversations with Brent, I wasn't aware he'd used the Origami method on boats much larger than 40'. I do have to say... it does look like one of his though! The sheer, the twin keels, the steel...

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

He clearly stated:

10. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I understand the hull cost a fraction the price of the steel , not counting the time and welding rod. Such a deal.
    I didn't design it. I had nothing to do with the design, only the method of building . It was based on an old Brandylmeyer design, which was scaled up and done in origami. Several 40 footers of the original design were built using origami methods, and are out cruising.
    You never know what scrap you will be using in finishing the detail work. Maybe move some ashore to give you some working space.
    Princes Auto sells a wet sandblasting attachement for a pressure washer for wet sandblasting, for around $100. Wipe her off on a hot sunny summer day , after blasting ,and you get a slight rust bloom ,which many epoxies will tolerate, including epoxy tar. Wasser tar doesn't mind the moisture.
    With 12 percent of the earths surface being iron ore, it is definitely not a pollutant, and sand is definitley not.
    Been cruising away from computers for a while.

11. HReeve

HReeve Junior Member

But what of the existing paint on the hull that will end up in the drink?

There is a reason yards are required to collect their mess.

Saying, "it's just one boat, it won't hurt, it would end up in the drink anyway" is no excuse to pollute someones front yard, or the delicate ecology in the bay.

12. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Good point. There is quite a bit of paint still on there.

13. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

A couple of points, first, regarding rust, if this isn't intended as a sailing yacht, just weld some anodes on the bottom and be done with it:
    http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=8565

I would think that 4-6 evenly spaced on the hull would take care of any future corrosion issues. Put it on the beach annually to make sure the anodes are still there, and otherwise don't worry about it. The fact that you don't appear to have a way to get the hull away from the ocean, and fully wash off the all of the chloride contamination, makes this an even more attractive option.

Secondly, wouldn't a concrete wash hold moisture against the steel, providing almost perfect conditions for severe, hidden corrosion?

14. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

That could work, but with so much steel exposed they would corroded rather quickly. They can be salvaged free form some boatyards. They keep working until they fall off the straps.You could give it a try. Cement wash is alakali and works well in tanks, as it takes a bit of acidity to corrode steel . Weak alakali stops it, as long as it stays alkali. Cement loses it's alkalinity over time
    There is a good editorial in the latest 48 north about copper from boatyards and the bureaucratic hurdles they face. The found out that copper from boatyards in Puget Sound is .03% of the total. Copper in Puget Sound from brake shoes is 40% of the total. I wonder how much is from ferries, and big ships , which move year round, far more than any yacht. Probably a good percentage of the remaining almost 60%. Again , boaters are being used as scapegoats for landlubbers and corporations, to enable politicoes to slime out of doing anything effective or reality based.

15. scupper

scupper Junior Member

hey glass, just found this thread, You live in a nice remote place full of self sufficient people I'm sure someone on either quadra or cortes has a sandblasting pot (or you can build one), rent a big compressor for the weekend from CR gather some un-salted sand in town while you're there and blast the hull while there's no cabin, wasser tar paint is what I used on my boat, it's moisture cured and if you thin it down enough can be rolled and brushed It'll take you a day to blast and paint the inside another to do the outside if you want to do the outside (looks like you could get away without it on the outside) once you've got the first couple coats you're good, when you build the cabin either blast and paint your scraps before using them or buy wheel abraded and shop primed steel and just grind and paint the welds at the end of everyday. Frames and support and all be added after all this, but blasting and paint will give you an really good idea of what you're dealing with (if you don't already know) and it'll protect the inside while you build the cabin. sand blasting after the cabin is on can be done too, I did it but it's not very fun, and you'd need forced filtered air as you have it you'd be able to roll the gas powered generator up on the beach and blast it right there with out breathing apparatus, other than a respirator with a garden hose attached lead upwind. Wasser paints (604-291-8242 supplier for BC, can be picked up in esquimalt) were made for painting bridges and oil rigs between tides and are designed for cold wet applications.
    Another thing I've thought about doing is building a trailer to accommodate my twin keeler, as no boat movers around these parts can do the twin keel thing, and there are enough of these around here that I could either sell it or rent it to recover the cost of building it, no problem. Then you just would need a place to store and work on the boat. Brent frequents the area, get his book from him it's worth the 20 some odd he charges many times over even though this isn't design

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.