55ft steel hull ??s

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by glasssurfer, Dec 7, 2009.

1. glasssurfer

glasssurfer Junior Member

yeah thats not me in the picture tho.. i was in germany 2 years ago. in hamburg.

this product says its designed for painting between tides? people must paint boats between tides.. i didint think it was that un common.

2. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Have you joined the Origamiboat group(yahoo)? There are probably members of that forum who can give you info. on your boat, maybe put you in touch with the builder. I sent you a pm.
    Mike

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Possible maybe, sensible too? And sure they did not have a 55ft boat in mind when making that "marketing" statement.

Brent Swain btw. has been around several times since you opened the thread!
    My personal opinion (I do´nt have others), do´nt count too much on the "Origamy" community, you´ll find as much religious belief as knowledge amongst them!

Regards
    Richard

4. glasssurfer

painting between tides doesnt mean painting the entire boat at once between tides...

thanks for the heads of on the orgami community.

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I've been following this thread with moderate interest. Sort of a small world for you Canucks, you've got a boat designed by the master of the low budget build anchored in front of a pretty good NA's dad's house.

As I understand it, the concept is to build a floating shop with a primary use as a glassblowing studio. The bilge keels sound handy and the whole thing seems semiviable in a wierd sort of way.

I understand you are going to use a wood stove for heat. That will make everything better once it's warm and toasty inside. What are you going to use eventually for the heat source for your glassblowing? Sounds like you could use a good sized genset to provide fair amounts of electricity under varying conditions.

Your bottom paint ideas will work after a fashion, certainly good enough for your purposes. I'd pressure wash the whole thing at one time and see what you've got. If you don't find cancer then scuff the bottom after pressurewashing and slap on some bottom paint in sections as you're able. It won't be close to a perfect job but you're not doing much traveling and just need to keep the growth down. Someday down the road you'll pull that thing out in a proper yard and can give it all the loving attention to detail it might need for a first class job, right now you need to weld and cut and grind and perhaps not worry about the finer points. Do first class work around your hull penetrations, good valves, hoses etc.

You have a long tough road ahead of you but what the hell, you may pull it off! What do you think you have to do to get this floating shop into an up and running operation?

PS This thread seems to have a strange repellant force that keeps Mr. Swain away, curious.

6. glasssurfer

ive talked to brent via email and he has replyed to some of my posts. busy guy i take it

thanks for the input tolly wally. great info.

my glasblowing studio needs about 2000W of power to run only. so a decent genney will be sufficient untill i generate enough power myself. int he long run

thanks for the help cant wait to post up my progresss.
    g

7. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

You can melt glass with 2000 watts?

8. glasssurfer

oxy propane my friend. my torch runs real hot. and accurate. GTT torches.

the 2000 watts is for my small kiln and vent fan.

check my youtube GIBSONS GLASSWORKS

9. timothy22

timothy22 Junior Member

try Chassis Saver. We use it for all our waterfront steel structures ever since they stopped making Tarset. It will bond over hard rust and seal it so it won't rust further.
    http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

10. glasssurfer

11. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I made the same statement, so did Richard/Apex and I think others although silent, may have the same thoughts...

Since Mr Swain always pestered us with his same old origami gospel, demolition derbies, etc etc whenever someone starts a steel boat related thread, why don't we just scare him right away by posting a photo of this boat when starting a thread:D :D :D

No offense meant to you Glassurfer:cool: Anyway, as mentioned elsewhere, good luck with your project.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Good idea Wynand...............

13. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Are you guy's shure thats a Brent Swain Boat, As far as I know Brent only has a 26 31 36 and a 40 footer in his plans
    Someones experiment gone wrong perhaps ?
    Tom

14. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I've never designed anything over 40 feet. That design was based on a successful Brandlemeyer design for a 40 footer ,scaled up, and greatly modified. The original owner and builders picked my brain on the building process and not much more . As there is over $18,000 worth of steel in her , 1/4 inch plate for the hull, in reasonably good shape, not including the work that has gone into her, you got yourself a hell of a deal. High time that hull was bought by someone with the enthusiasm to finish her.
    As she is bare steel without paint, it is a stage in the construction process where you can easily add whatever structural you need or feel comfortable with, with no problems.
    As there is nothing but steel and rust there , I wouldn't lose any sleep over scraping rust into the ocean. 12% of the earths crust is iron oxide, as are many of the meteorites that have been whizzing in for the last few billion years. You won't be adding anything which hasn't been there for billions of years.
    I haven't responded to this subject because I wasn't aware of it being posted. Good luck .It's a big project, but a man without a project is a man without a life. There is plenty of good scrounging in your area , with the land and beaches covered with masts for a boat that size. She is an attractive hull with a good sheerline . There is no reason she can't be beautiful . A nice hull shape will remain beautiful,regardless of how little money the builder has. An ugly boat will remain ugly regardless of how much money one throws at her. A fat lady will remain ugly, regardless of how much expensive makeup she puts on.

1 person likes this.

15. glasssurfer

easy internet trolls... nobody likes you..

thanks for the reply Brent. really appreciate the info. and yeah there is a **** load of steel inside her waiting for someone to move it into place.

damn great closing statement too. people seem to sure like you around here eh, i see why haha

cant wait to do some more work on this beauty. just got my zinc poured, it was a really fun process. pretty simple actually.and the stove, whoa, shes a beaut.

been drawing up some ideas, im sure not very artistic with a pencil tho. i think im gonna have to stick to the glass.

going to beach her in the next month or so. just getting my buddy boat ready to move her into place. pretty pumped to see it on the beach. gonna need a big ladder.

cheers for now, i will get some new pics up asap. show you what a real junk heap this thing is.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.