55ft steel hull ??s

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by glasssurfer, Dec 7, 2009.

1. glasssurfer

glasssurfer Junior Member

hi all! i just got myself a boat, its a big one. 55 ft steel hull, i guess they call it orgami design and i understand its a brent swaine design.. with a twin keel so it can sit on the beach.

im a bit of a noob. but im learning.

the boat has been moored in heriot bay on quadra island abd was last out of the water 2 years ago, with new zinc and bottom paint.

im guessing the guy used coal tar epoxy?

there a fair bit of groth on the boat so im going to try and get it up ont he beach asap

should i scrape all the crustations off? zink it and repaint or wait to re paint it in the summer after sandblasting? preasure wash with sand?

any help? i will get some pics up soon, im not on my computer now...

i saw brent swain posts here often, hopefully he will chime in!

very excited but this is going to take lots of work.. but im ready willing and able.. except finacially im not very sound.. so its gonna be a long haul

thanks, cant wait to get some more info/ advise.
    g

2. glasssurfer

heres what im working on

input?

Attached Files:

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

g......

I know a bit about the boat....I can see the roof of my Dad's house in your first picture. My impression is she is lightly built for her size, structural issues will be a worry down the road, depending on your intended use.

I would be most concerned about stopping the rust inside right now. Get the fresh water out of her, get some heat in there and scale the rust off everything. Blasting will be best but if not possible you'll have to do it as best you can. Then paint with primer. Probably just wait on the exterior until the weather improves, then blast and use a proper paint system.

Rusting through from the inside out would be my biggest concern.

Good luck.

4. HReeve

HReeve Junior Member

Good luck. There are a lot of nearly derelict hulls in the area that need some serious work and TLC to get them back in shape.

Having said that, PLEASE don't do the bottom on the nearest "deserted" beach. Take it to a yard with proper facilities, so that all that old paint does not end up in the drink.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Firstly, congratulations and good luck.

Secondly, suggest you establish a very clear game plan, operations plan with timeframe and costing. If it still makes sense then go for it.

Dont be too proud though to realise its a bigger task than you first thought. Has a surveyor looked over the boat for you yet? Might be an idea also to get an experienced boatyacht manager to come give an opinion as well.

Until then, crack open a bottle and dream.

6. glasssurfer

thanks for the input folks!

im obviously not going to scrape strait into the chuck.

weve got all the water out, and were now trying to install the woodstove, getter fired up asap. im going to try and get it to the dock. for power.. get in there with preasure washer and start cleaner er out prepairing for blasting if nessasary.. the inside doesnt seem to be to rusty tho.

as for zinc. just made a mold. going to pour my own zinc and mount on there.

do you think there will be studs for a "divers delight" style zinc? or would they just be welded on..

if i grind a section of the hull to mount some ready rod studs to mount zinc onto should i use coal tar epoxy around the grind area? or???

thanks for you positive input!!

as for cracking a bottle. im more into lighting one up.
    g

7. glasssurfer

still unsure of what is going to be the best product to use to cover up my bare metal once ive ground and weld the zinc on??

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

9. glasssurfer

thanks tad! when you coming back to quadra?

10. glasssurfer

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0160722&ucst=t

hows this stuff? and it needs to have a primer on before right?

with the drying times, will it cure under water, if i pulled the boat up on beach for a tide, painted it, will ir dry underwater? or will ti have to be out of the water longer than 1 tide?
    g

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

glass....

It looks like this book might address some of your questions. No way can you apply regular coal-tar epoxy between tides.....too cold anyway this time of year....at least outside. There may be some "quick drying" epoxy, but you could only get small patches done on each tide. Epoxy is probably a waste of money unless you blast or come close with needle guns and wire wheels.

You need a needle gun or even an air chisel plus wire wheels in drills before any paint. So far I've had good experience with Blue Steel primer (rust converter) applied outside in warm weather.

I may be up that way around Christmas.

http://www.tongacharter.com/book-repair.htm

12. yachtwork

yachtwork Junior Member

I was about to say-You might check out this metal boat book - "Metal boat repair and maintenance" that you can download for 12 bucks. A step by step how to on exactly your type of project.

http://www.tongacharter.com/book-repair.htm

Then I saw it was already mentioned.

By the way I have always liked Brent Swain boats.

cheers

Scott

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Glass,

please, please rethink your plans!

Did you receive a enthusiastic response here? Any idea why not?

For the cost of the required blasting, Epoxy primer, Ep tar etc. you can find a hull that size in every other village all around the worlds coastlines, many of them in probably much better condition. And many of them to go for free "in good hands".

Regards
    Richard

14. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

I would agree 100-% with Apex
    Involved in metal boats all my life
    You are just making a huge rod for your back
    Walk away from it before it breaks you
    Normally we say SHE for a boat, but this is an IT
    aS MENTIONED you can start again cheaper, buying preblast steel, zinc sprayed to 75 microns DFT,

15. glasssurfer

thanks guys but i think im gonna continue to work ont his boat, im not trying to make it a yuppie cruiser, im making it into a workshop, nothing has to be pretty.

walking away from something like this is not my idea of a good plan.

is there a way i can make my own cement wash for the inside? or would anyone be able to reccomend a brand or product.

i ive looked at a few boats, im no expert but this is a pretty neat one. the design, the amount of space, and SHE seems to be a solid hull. i know its going to take time, and work. but im not looking to make a yuppie yaught. im lookign to make a workshop for glassblowing.

stabelizing the hull is my main focus, and getting a woodstove inside, then im going to start welding. but i really want to get zincs on the hull asap. im just unsure of the process in which is going to work for me doing my own zinc, on the beach.

i made myself a steel mold to pour my own zinc, im doing things on a budget but i think im going at it te best i can.

what about hanging zinc on copper wire?? im sure i could search that topic..

thanks for the feedback positive or neg.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.