Interference Factor

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by navarch_hish, Aug 25, 2006.

1. navarch_hish

navarch_hish Junior Member

I am designing a high speed catamran ferry. 35knots speed..

I am doing the resistance part of the project and i need data regarding the intereference factors..

Viscous interference factor
    Wave intereference factor

Can anyone tell me on what factors these depends on and can somone provide me some graphs from which i can interpolate to find the intereference factors suitbale for my vessel

My vessel Details
    LOA = 49.4
    Bship= 13.2
    bhull = 3.17
    D = 4.32
    T = 1.72
    CB = .625
    LCB = 6.2% aft of midship

Give ur comments on my ship

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi navarch,
    It sounds like this is a school assignment. Do you have any textbooks handy?
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "interference factor". Are you trying to figure out how much drag is due to the interference of the wakes of the two hulls? That's virtually all due to waves... the (viscous) boundary layers of a cat's two hulls don't usually meet each other.

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Have a look at the work by A.F. Molland (et al.) from Southampton University (UK). A lot of tank testing was done and the findings are well presented. This should answer your question.

Tim B.

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

If the hulls are symmetric and carrying no side force, you can compute the wave interference using Michlet.

For some experimental data on asymmetrical hulls, see
    Papanikolaou, et al, "Hydrodynamic Optimization of Fast-Displacement Catamarans", Twenty-First Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics (1997), The National Academies Press, http://darwin.nap.edu/books/0309058791/html/697.html.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.