Wakeboarding outboard 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Yousefhadeedi, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Yousefhadeedi

Yousefhadeedi New Member

Hello all,

I will be buying my first powerboat bowrider 23 foot without an outboard engine; i will have to purchase that separately. My question therefore is: is it better to buy a 2 stroke or 4 stroke given that i would like to buy between a 225 or 250 hspwer engine for the majority of the time wakeboarding. I do understand that wakeboarding enthusiasts recommend an inboard engine (or at least an I/O) but this will not be the case for me.

My overall concern firstly is that I understand by many viewers and reviews that 4 stroke engines do not have a fast 'shot hole' acceleration as 2 stroke engines to let wakeboarders take off from within the water. Does this still apply for newer advanced engine models (Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury Optimax/ EFI etc).

Secondly on another note boaters mention that 2 strokes are noisier in general however does this also apply to newer engines? (as mentioned above)

Note 1: the boat i will be buying weighs (without an engine) approx 1 ton. I do not know how much weight of an engine has on the significance on the dry weight of the boat therefore affecting the trim and planing of the boat like mine. Your comments on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Note 2: I am currently living in Kuwait (Gulf Middle East). The Persian Gulf sea waters are extremely salty. If you have any tips and advise on how high salt content affects either 2 or 4 stroke engines I would welcome any comments.

Gas prices here are some of the cheapest in the world so although 2 strokes are less fuel efficient it isn't so much of a consideration over here price wise.

Looking forward to all your expertise opinions, comments and feedback.

Thanks again,

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Luckily, wakeboards have enough surface area that "hole shot" isn't that important.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

4-stroke for sure.

Buy the one that is best represented in your area.

After sales service and installation are HUGE issues.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.