50 knot commuter boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ctmi, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

An absolutely cool Hydrofoil !

But I saw quite a bit of vertical movement when it only goes through a little bit of wake of the chase boat that shot the video. (from 1:21 to 1:24 in the video)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My recommendation to ctmi, the original poster, is that he should engage a naval architect with experience in high speed, "offshore" power boats as a consultant; not to start a design but rather to help him develop a set of requirements and discuss alternative solutions. They could also provide coarse estimates of cost. One firm I'm aware of which has relevant experience and expertise is DL Blount. ABOUT DLBA http://www.dlba-inc.com/

3. xellz

xellz Senior Member

50 knots is sure a lot. Just yesterday i got off from relatively small hydrofoil ferry that was doing 80km/h, which is still below 50knots. The ride was quite comfortable, only a bit loud, but I can't imagine myself going regularly at such speeds in small boat. And without hydrofoil i don't think my body would arrive in one piece :) You want to enjoy the ride too, right?

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

50 knots is easily achieved in a Cigarette type sports boat, but naturally what your idea of "comfortable" is, would determine the spectrum of conditions you would be using it in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.