5 gallon buckets as pontoons

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by wake711, Sep 5, 2004.

1. wake711

wake711 New Member

i was wondering if it would work if i attached three 5 gallon drywall buckets that were airtight on each side of a boat as pontoons, and how would i fugure how much bouyancy they had.

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Yes you can.

Buoyancy of an object equals the weight of the amount of displaced liquid. i.e. an object displacing a cubic meter of (fresh) water is subjected to a lifting force of 1 ton.
    This lifting force is in balans with weight of the object (the bucket) + weight X.

X can be a force pushing/pulling object down, ballast (live or dead) , (in your case) a boat, etc.

3. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Each 5 gallon bucket completely submerged would provide about 41 pounds bouyancy.

I'd worry about them cracking though. Not design to withstand that kind of pressure. Maybe fill them with 2-part bouyancy foam?

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Wake,

Filling them with foam is a good option to prevent flooding, but remember to add the weight of the foam as part of the bucket weight!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.