Sail boat Plans For Sale

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by kudu, Oct 1, 2005.

1. kudu

kudu Senior Member

I have sail boat plans from a popular designer, I believe he even advertises somewhere on this web site. The plans are for a 50' pilothouse sailboat with a ketch rig. Also, The plans have additional modifcations performed by a secondary marine architect that contain changes per my request, to the entire hull, sail plan, floor plan, tankage, ect...In essence two sets of sail boat plans. A used Perkins 6-354 Turbo diesel with 1800 hours can be purchased as well.

2. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Can you add a picture?

3. crawdaddy031

crawdaddy031 Junior Member

So you propose to take food out of the mouth of the person who sold you those plans that they worked long and hard to design and calculate and engineer?! I believe (could be wrong) that you really only purchased use of the plans if you look in the fine print of your purchase agreement. So you would then be selling Stolen property? Very bad form old boy.

4. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Not necassarily so... Often when you buy plans you buy the right to build one boat. If you wish to sell that right I see nothing wrong with it unless the designer specifically states in the initial contract that he does not approve. Some designers are very concerned about who is allowed to build their boats and that the quality and finish are of a standard that will represent their design well. Unfortunately the general public does not know the difference between a poor design and a poorly executed good design.

5. crawdaddy031

crawdaddy031 Junior Member

Good morning, I think we are in agreement. Just varying a little. As I said he wants to sell plans that were sold to him for the construction of a single vessel. If he sells the plans is he not taking from the NA, a sale ? But I also included the caveat that he look at the fine print of his sales agreement as the NA may have sold him all future uses of said plans. I still feel it is not entirely correct to do so as the plans are intelectual (spell?) property of the NA.

Jim"not sailing because it is storming on my only day off" :(

6. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Gentlemen...I never signed nor received a contract with the original plans. I have never used the plans to build a boat. It was my intention to do so but life changing events within my family prohibited that from happening.
    Now, in regards to the original set of plans, I had some changes that I wanted to add. I was in contact with the designer on many occasions via email, some changes he was willing to alter (at triple the original cost of the plans) others he was unwilling to adapt. He advised me that if I moved forward with my wishes to make the changes it would no longer be his design.
    This issue was discussed with the newly hired naval architect, he advised me that the alterations will in fact make the design a new one. That is why I origiallly stated there are two sets of boat plans for sale, neither has been used to construct a boat, family issues have prevented that.

I feel that I am in no manner trying to rip off the first designer. Had I built a boat then attemped to sell the plans, then yes I agree with you. The second set of plans are my design, a vision I had. A naval architect was hired to acheive what I ultimately desired the boat to look like.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Sounds like the plans are legally and morally sellable to me. If the designer demands that only certain people build it...it may be admirable but it is an unenforceable stipulation. Once the right to build the boat is sold, the choice of the builder is the right owner's choice... but also his/her responsibility and should not reflect upon the designer if the construction is not according to the designer's specs. My only caveat it that the seller should not obtain a profit from the plans, meerly the replacement of the original investment.

Steve

8. kudu

kudu Senior Member

The original investment may be impossible to recover. I'm just wanting a fair price for both sets of unused plans.

9. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Picture ?

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

The law will vary across borders, but generally provinding that the vessel has not been built, the right to build one vessel can be traded unless your contract specifically excludes this. The crux is 'One vessel only too be built'. The designer still gets the fee for that vessel.

The courts would look upon it in the same light as you selling a block of land along with the house plans you paid an architect/enginner for .

11. kudu

kudu Senior Member

The "FEE" being the purchase price of the plans?

12. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Yes the designer has allready received his fee and unless there is a royalty stipulated upon completion the designer has no further reward.

You may now trade the plans and the right to build at whatever price the market dictates.

13. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thanks for the information. :)

14. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Here ya go jfblouin...Since this copy was drawn there were additional corrections made. The cockpit was moved to just behind the pilothouse & boom raised somewhat for for better visibility. This also increased the interior volume of the rear stateroom. kudu

15. kudu

kudu Senior Member

My attachment wasn't done correctly. Not sure what went wrong!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.