Solar power

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by taniwha, Apr 3, 2007.

1. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

I have just sold a 4.2 m boat that will be powered by a 2.0 cruiser electrical outboard from Torqeedo. The owner would like to have solar panels on the roof to charge his batteries but I need to keep the weight down. any advice?
    www.wbba.co.za

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Not actually advice but if you carefully point out the fact that all that weight high up will make him unstable and turn him over I don't think there's much you can do after all it is now HIS BOAT! If I remember rightly when you BUY something it becomes yours and you can do what the hell you want with it! JUST DON'T EXPECT IT TO PERFORM TO SPEC. IF YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID AND ARE TOLD ABOUT IT!

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Depends how much power you need. There are a huge number of panels around, some of them are quite light, a good search of the web is needed, I think.

SafeWalrus is right, though... weight up-top is never good

Tim B.

4. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

I do realize that weight on top is never good that is why I am asking for advice on light weight solar panels.
    Product liability works slightly differently than you are mentioning Safewalrus; if my customer get injured by something I build, I am responsible for it. No matter if he asked me or not to do it! From the moment I accept to make it I am responsible for the safety of my product. If I sell it to him and he puts it on then it is at different story.

5. Ecacophonix

Ecacophonix New Member

Perhaps in future

With solar panel efficiencies going up (a research lab reported a 40% conversion last year!) and their weights coming down, possibly in the next 2-3 years you can have an excellent solution for what you are looking for...but for now, I am not too sure if I can recommend something that will serve you well

NS @ Oilgae - Oil from Algae

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.