5.7 Vortec Roller Lifter Question

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by marragtop, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok I stand corrected but please explain how a bottle of ---what can fix the valves in a lifter (follower in English)

In English language ,--If its knackered its knackered.

2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

I have a sneaky feeling that you know exactly how a hydraulic lifter works Frosty, however,the small hole in the side of the Rover lifters blocked very easily and sticking noisy lifters were a problem the 3.5 was a lowish oil pressure engine anyway ,particularly the SD1 version on which they changed the oil pump to high volume lower pressure. Stop leak was effective in keeping the oil flowing from the gallery in the crankcase into the lifter and pressurising it. The information came from a friend who was foreman at a Rover main dealer in the 1970's so I imagine it filtered down from BL but I can't be sure. Regarding your problem of tingling in another thread, I used to have the same thing happen when I touched the wife ,seems to have cured itself now though.

3. marragtop

marragtop New Member

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify... this is a stock 2005 marine 5.7 Vortec (carbuerated) motor with hydraulic roller lifters. When I stated that the lifters were not compressing, that was with the intake off, and certainly not running. I don't want to put any sort of 'snake oil' in this, so I've ordered a new set of CompCam lifters. I'm also going to change the oil back to Quicksilver 25-40w and will run it with the covers off to make sure I'm getting ample oil supply.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This generation of small block doesn't have the design flaws of the BL products. In fact, the replacement pump and lifters for those engine are superseded by lifters with bigger bleed holes and the pumps have higher pressures.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on a set of Comp Cam lifters. Just pick up GM Performance part lifters (809-12499225), I just bought a set a month or so ago for a third of the price of Crain, Comp, Edelbrock, etc.

Also paying a premium for Mercury oil isn't necessary either. A generic 20w50 will suit you fine at half the price. Who do you think makes the oil for Mercury and for Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.? These are just "re-badged" products that cost more for the same thing. In other words, Wal-Mart brand 20w50 is exactly the same as Quaker State 20w50.

Lastly why buy lifters for something when you don't know if they're bad? I'm telling you check the valve train, you'll probably find some bent valves or push rods. Doing the diagnostics before you order parts is the wise course of action.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.