5.0 Merc Replacement With Chevy 5.0

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by tojulio, Jun 27, 2006.

1. tojulio

tojulio New Member

What is the hardest part of this job? will the old motor just unbolt and pull out or is it bolted in the back of the motor?Do I have to pull my out drive to replace motor?Is there a difference in heads on a marine engine compared to an auto set of heads.All info on this matter is very appreciated. Is there a procedure online somewhere that i can print out?

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Your best bet would be to contact Mercury and get their shop manual for that engine. The shop manual for my car was nearly a hundred bucks, but it's paid for itself a hundred times over. In addition to showing you every screw, every connector, it will also give you the correct procedure for removal, the tools needed, and all the bolt torque specs.

On the heads: the newer vortec heads have a different intake manifold bolt pattern than the older heads, and the intake port location was raised a quarter of an inch. You will have to check to see if the intake bolt patterns match, and if not, decide whether to refurbish the old heads or get a new intake manifold that fits the new heads.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, the outdrive needs to come out before the engine. An automotive engine will have several differences with a marinized version. The gaskets are different , also the fuel pump, distributor, camshaft, bearings, circulating pump(stainless shaft), exhaust valves (stainless), oil pump(high volume, std.pressure).
    Get any manual for about $30.00 and it has all the procedures with photos.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.