welding, power packs, mig, feeders

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by lazeyjack, May 13, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

can you all post your experiences of powerpacks, mig, and feeders and pulling guns, assist guns as most (push pulls are) I want to update,and would like feedback on how reliable you have found inverter powerpacks as opposed transformer welders
    I ran Hobart and Miller straight mig, want to know your experiences on pulse, and straight and would like to limit topic to 3ph.
    cheers

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi Mate,

From my experience I can commend on the following machines;

TIG / Stick - MILLER 250 Syncrowave (with Pulse) magic machine and what is nice about is that both the Tig Torch and stick welding cables are fitted at once, for different welding - just throw a switch. Welding starts are super smooth and fast....

MIG - Used both MILLER and HOBART (the old "topedo" generator type Hobart) and my vote goes for the Hobart by the length of a nose.

INVERTERS - Best invention since the discovery of welding. They are super light weigh and ultra smooth (true DC) when welding - stick or Tig. I have a 200amp Thermadyne inverter at home and she only weighs about 5 kg's. Transformers must go to museums now;)

3. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

I'm a dyed in the wool Lincoln guy. Ive worked in the stainless shop for a lot of years, and Ive seen the Millers consistently go out for repairs. Its a sea of red in the division I run, work horse of the industry...

4. jrl5678

jrl5678 Junior Member

I have a newbie question.
    I have some stick time, in a class, 1/4" plate, various angles and joinery am looking to buy a small project/art welder. Would you recommended a a small wire feed box or what?
    I have thick skin and am waiting all replies?

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

why , its a good question, yes buy a single ph, mig, for doing this small work, they are as cheap as chips Stick is too messy for fine work, another alt is to pick up a dirt cheap dc pac that will mig tig and stick, like the brill hobart megaflex 450, but then you need 3ph
    where are you?

6. jrl5678

jrl5678 Junior Member

Houston TX
    Most of my building is in wood.
    I have welded a little and would like to do a little more.
    I think I could arange a 3ph in the garage.
    JRL

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok, I, ll scratch round for some wooden welding rods:)) no seriously if you google welder sales, or go to ebay and find a megaflex you will never regret it, I had 4 I still have one, but they were and are indestructable, they have solid state dials and pc boards so they were state of art in 85 when I bought mine, and I never ever had pc board trouble, they will run any 110 feeder, and althought hey are very powerful, they have a very high open circuit voltage, which means you can turn your amps right down and still have good arc quality, you can control arc force, in SMAW(stick metal arc welding) adn control your volts in mig precisely the prob with small cheap stick machines is the open circuit volts arew so low, it makes it hard for a beginner ( the rod seems to stick to the work all the time) Your small migs are not so bad this way By the way, open circuit voltage is the volts measured across the rod(or wire) and the earth

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

G'day Lazyjack

Can't really help you much in selection as it is not part of my job, however where I work one of the criteria for selection is the cost and availability of consumables. Apparently they can vary quite a lot to the point where purchasing a machine is the secondary concern.

Hope this helps

Poida

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Dick Stave me mate.

I bought a Lincoln Welder when I was around 22 years old, I'm 60 now and still welding with it. Never been repaired.

Poida

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Really I had many, I, was hoping someone would pipe up and tell me abt their experiences with the latest programmable power pacs and the reliabilty of guns and feeders.
    I used all Hobart Linear two feeders and guns, and they were the only true pulling gun made I know the Israelis have a true pulling gun too, but find it hard to believe noone else does, I,ve tried the Hofftiger, and Binzall, but many of the assist guns(push pull) are so bulky, very annoying for welding down inside a keel,
    I,m happy with my old power packs, they are so grunty 450 amps at 100% duty cycle, but how to replace the feeders if I start again,? I too am 60

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Lazyjack, we had a guy come & demo a Fronius pulse machine- went well even on the crusty alu we dug out of the blasting grit for him! Didn't buy it though as it was kinda exxy & already had gear doing what we wanted it to. For a stick machine I reckon the lincoln Daleck(look like Dr Who alien) is the fat, my mate got one for $100 & cashed the crusty leads on it for $120 at the scrappy- turned a profit before he switched it on- how cool is that. I used to drive an Esab on alloy with push-pull & cooling- like you say the gun is uncomfy & awkward in tight spots

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

thanks mate, yeppers you turn on the juice and hold that earth and it get so hot!!, scrap, lot to be said for tinned wire like we use in the boat wiring itself Trouble is the Chinese have cranked up the price of Cu out of sight I see these Kempi ad other Scandinavian things, , but after the big welders they look so flimsy, , we will wait and see,
    Wynard, we call the torpedos, top hats

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Hey Wynand

I was just talking to the local welding construction yard about the high maintenance cost of the inverter based gear. Whereas the transformer based was pretty indestructable, they have a variety of gear all top end in use continuosly and all their inverter based welders have been failing regularly in the high current side of the electronics, and they are getting pretty peeved with it.
    Have you heard much about this?

They are beautifully light though, it might be our 240volt on machines designed for 210.

Cheers

14. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

In my book, Mike it's rather like comparing a Cummins with a Izuzu> I have seen piles of inverter packs disgarded in a heap, these big old Yank things can pile in the weld all day every day
    I can remember dropping one of my hobarts from a front end loader, the bolts inside were sheared, but til this very day the thing purrs on
    The pack is the engine, the feeder is the thing that gets the wire to the gun,and the gun, can either drive you nuts or make life easy, there are times with 10 men working, that I have spent all day just fixing guns

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Yes I have always forked out for a decent gun and I'm a back yard welder. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.