Hurley 18

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Matt Lingley, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Matt Lingley

Matt Lingley Junior Member

I've picked up an abandoned Hurley 18 very cheaply, In solid but tatty condition. Can anyone who has sailed/owned one sugest any ways of improving the boats all round performance? I am considering adding a scoop to the transom, but I dont know if it will be in the water enough to lengthen the waterline heeled, do they drag their sterns at all whilst heeled? I have never sailed one nore seen one sailing, and I cant find any pics of one going upwind online...

2. Andy

Andy Senior Member

hi matt

having seen a couple of Hurley 18's sailing on the clyde and the forth, i don't think you would gain much by adding a scoop. the angle of the run aft is pretty steep and even when heeled a scoop would displace very little water. they are lovely little boats though - if you want more speed then perhaps you should look at new sails, fairing the hull or possibly a new rudder (the old ones are pretty heavy afaik).

I too am consudering buying a Hurley 18 - if anyone knows of any cheap ones in Britain, let me know!!!

Andy ;)

3. Matt Lingley

Matt Lingley Junior Member

Unfortuately I think I just snapped up the cheapest! The hull is stripped to the gel, which is pefect as the boats been on the hard for 7 years. I'm going to fair the trailing edge of the rudder and keel though as they are pretty fat and round in section back there and i've got a resonable suit of 707 sails to cut down, laminate sails on a hurley 18! Might look at adding a scoop and at the same time adding a bit to the bottom to extend the waterline, if I can do it without making the lines look a mess.
    I'm not worried about 'spoiling' the boat as it was so cheap, it would be hard to make a massive loss.

4. John Mc

John Mc New Member

Hurley Felicity

Hi Mat, How did you get on with the hurley felicity? I have just picked one up that needs a bit of work.

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.