455 water in oil

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by 77taylor, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hydro Phil

Hydro Phil Hydro Phil

Another possibility, the timing chain cover is very thin, pull the water pump plate & check for rust & pitting on timing cover. It only takes 10 minutes to pull water pump plate & check this & a new water pump gasket for a couple bucks. Are you running headers or log manifolds? I personally have same set up on a 74 Taylor SJ, Headers, & alum. intake manifold. If running alum. intake manifold DO NOT use metal gasket, jet makes too much pressure, use aftermarket performance composition gaskets. If timing cover is pitted, use a sharp scribe & poke the pitt`s, chance`s are scribe will go through !!! Phil

2. technik

technik New Member

External oil cooler cooled by engine coolant?look for a device between oil filter and oil filter flange.

3. tile69

tile69 Junior Member

OK SO....I have a 1971 shasta Jet Boat with a 365hp olds motor in it........OK so It runs pretty good so far..It starts pretty easy..Umm My question is though...I just changed the oil in it...I put 20 50 in it...I replaced the dipstick, It needed this bad, However when I did this I had to wait for the dipstick to arrive....Here is where I need some good old fashioned info....With the dipstick gone and an open hole in the block where one would b the engine got very very wet.....The engine since the oil change has not even got 3 mins of run time........(I ve been chasing wiring ghosts)...However I checked it today and it was pretty cloudy....NOT SLUDGEY but really cloudy and almost milky......Could this be from water seaping into the engine from the intense 3 days of rain...Thru the dipstick hole..There is more I also changed the Exahust Gasket becuse when I attempted to start it.Before this rain.While plugged into a garden hosen water SHOT OUT THE exahust gaskets on the Driver side...So I changed them....(NO MORE EXAHUST LEAK or water spraying)...Also after the heavy rain there was ALOT of water on the Intake Mainifold....And just looking at the Mainifold when its dry my first thought would be...WOW that needs NEW GASKETS....So Question is Where is the Water most likely coming From...SHOULD I CHANGE THE INTAKE GASKETS.... Also I have positve oil pressure Last time I checked but Not a staggering huge number.80 or 90 PSI right at starting.. around 60 PSI AT STARTING.IS this normal? When gas is applied it does go up.I think the sending unit is going I m not sure it..It sureges just a touch if I give it gas...NOT ALOT it never zeros out..Once i let off it goes back down to 60 or so PSI...IT Idles well and starts pretty easy... Three pumps and a turn of the switch and its going...idles about just under 800 nicely...........Is all lost or am I making a mtn out of a Mole hill.....Its also very Very rusty.....

4. tile69

tile69 Junior Member

Ohhh Also I m running a MSD 6AL with a built in rev limiter...That I will set at 3500 maybe 4000 RPMS.....I m looking into changing out of the points and running straight HEI....ALSO I M CONSIDERING A SET OF Edelbrock Logs and squierel cages....150 bucks....I m looking for some good advice for this olds.....Like I said its a 71 WITH G heads and a F Block

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.