455 Olds starter removal

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by rhinocharg, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rhinocharg

rhinocharg New Member

I have an old sidewinder 18 with a 455 olds with berkley jet. The starter is frozen and I'm trying to figure out how to pull it out so I can have it rebuilt. I pulled the left exhaust manifold off, now I'm trying to locate the starter bolts. Anyone have any advice?

Ryan

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Disconnect that battery first thing. The starter bolts are on the starter,--- sorry what else can one say!!!!!!

3. rhinocharg

rhinocharg New Member

LOL. I guess I deserved that. I should have been more specific. I've pulled the exhaust manifold and the outside starter bolt. There are two problems: The inside starter bolt is positioned in such a way that it's difficult to get at it. Is there a trick way to get to it that anyone knows since it's underneath and out of sight. The second problem is that the inside bolt seems to be too close to the flywheel cover, so it's impossible to get a socket over it(it butts up to the flywheel). I guess this means I'll have to use an open ended wrench, again, very difficult considering I can't see and can barely reach the bolt.

I'm sure many people have done this before so if anyone has a special trick that they used please let me know. My dad did one about 20 years ago but he can't remember how he did it. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to take the sheet metal cover off if there is no way to get a wrench in. Usually you can bend the sheet metal enough to fit a box end wrench. These jobs have to be done by feel and memory alone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.