455 Olds Oil

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by babs240sx, Feb 25, 2010.

1. babs240sx

babs240sx Junior Member

I just installed a 455 olds engine in my jet boat. What weight oil and brand do you guys recommend? Thank you

2. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I use straight SAE 30 weight in my Merc 454. That;s Mercruiser's recommendations though. Is your motor custom built? I'm in NJ with avg temps in the 80's during the summer. You might want to use 40 weight in AZ with the higher temps.

3. mr hot rod

mr hot rod Junior Member

Shell Rotella T seems to be highly recommended by many performance engine builders for the initial start-up and break in period. If you're running flat tappet hydraulic lifters, the lower zinc content of most oils may not properly lubricate the lifters. Lucas Oil Break-in Additive can be used if you wish to run other brands of oil.

Here's a link to more info :

Our latest engine is running on 12 quarts of it !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.